Note to New Members ×

Carving in Heavenly

Guest boblemay

Guest boblemay

I'm bringing my carving board to Heavenly Valley. Are there any good carver runs there or nearby? I seem to remember lots of narrow shutes from when I skied there years ago.

Guest Randy S.

Be sure to post on TahoeCarvers. There are a number of folks in the area who carve at Heavenly and even more at Kirkwood (a short trip down the road and worth it if you are here for more than a couple days). Mark Anderson, Dane Anderson (not related), Harald, and some others all have passes at Heavenly.

If you venture to the North Shore, you'll find carvers at Squaw, Alpine and Northstar.

My overnight stay is usually around heavenly in some motel. But the next morning I take the 89 and 30 minutes later I am in Kirkwood where the runs are much better, the altitude is higher and there are way more carvers around.

Having said that, I am planning to go at least once to heavenly this year and check it out (last time I was there in 2002). According to tahoecarvers the Nevada side in Heavenly is more carve friendly.

My overnight stay is usually around heavenly in some motel. But the next morning I take the 89 and 30 minutes later I am in Kirkwood where the runs are much better, the altitude is higher and there are way more carvers around.

The snow is better at __________, or

The runs are better at _________. Just fill in where ever you are. Because as my buddy johnnie (softboot rider) says "The snow is best right below your feet". I think that applies to runs too.

Heavenly has some good runs for carving, as does kirkwood, and N*, and Squaw, and Rose, and most other ski areas. Just enjoy it.

That Kirkwood has higher altitude is a common misconception. The top of Heavenly is just over 10,000' where Kwood tops out at 9,850'.

However, the fact that there are more carvers at Kwood is undeniably true.

The runs at Kwood also seem to be more carve friendly. The best carving run at Heavenly is Waterfall on the CA side off the Powder Bowl lift. Unfortunately, it is rarely groomed. I can't tell you how many "comment cards" I filled out asking for more grooming...