Note to New Members ×

Whistler Conditions?

Gtanner

It's 0920am , I just did two runs green chair and here I sit in the roundhouse

com room checking my email, that should say something about the conditions.

Last week was colder, hardpack to icy, with occaisonal glazed ice and bare patches (at least icy to a west coaster) with a low snow pack a claimed "80" cm base at pig alley

Just got back up from a stretch of work, a low pressure front has rolled in bringing precip currently in the form of rain and freezing rain.

At 6000 ft its raining and about plus three celcius, snow is a bit slushy, many more bare patches than last week, claimed base is a " 75cm" per the W/B propaganda line.

Valley floor was abou zero celcius with freezing rain, about a 1.5cm layer of ice on the old car.

Driving from Vancouver yesterday had about ten cars in the ditch by Brohm, branydwine and a few of the sharper corners.

This system is supposed to be near till at least friday, if the temps drop it should improve.

Bring seam sealed goretex, spare dry gloves to change into at mid day, and goggle squeegee

The Dave* on hill mountain update,

Time to get back at it, red n peak chairs to investigate

Dave*

The lunch time update.

On further riding the snow pack is much muh less in the areas not covered by manmade.

Mucho rocks and dirt patches, GS going to harmony chair is brown for example.

Lots of exposed cut banks dropping dirt and rocks.

As far as bringing the new coilers..... If I owned one I personally would not bring , rock board for sure. of course one good snow fall could change things overnight. There is one guy running around on a brand new Kessler running thru ****e I wouldnt put my own personal rock boards thru,

My reccomendation is wait to bring the good decks when the W/B propaganda line is quoting 100cms or more.

I am not a patroller, only know one well, and know another who is friend of friend. Neither go by that name.

About to try the ski out to village, apparently more manmade base than up high.

will update if things change dramatically in next few days.

Dave*

"On Wedsnesday Ullr did say 'let there puddles' and thusly they did form to accompany the rocks and dirt"............

Wet slush falling at 5000 to 7000 ft, rain below 5000ft, around 0 celcius in the alpine, approx 1 cm wet slush accumulated overnight, quite afew puddles formed up in the flat spots, the burton 168 w surfs them quite nicely.

Overall conditions are reminiscent of last January for the PNW.

Four runs and I'm calling it a day, the Xbox and Destroy all Humans calls.

Dave*

Well, here I was thinking it couldn't get worse than last year at this time!

Oh well, going to have to make the best of it then. Rock board it is unless there's a huge dump!

Thanks and keep posting if things change! I appreciate the 1st hand review as opposed to the website.

-Gord

• 2 weeks later...

Blessed be thine Ullr,

Conditions much improved, signif powder past few days, still just over 100cm base,

Yesterday the dynastar 168 4807

today the Rossi 185 undertaker ,

tomorrow the 168w F2 Eliminator is coming out

pooder pooder pooder

Dave*s on hill report is in a much better mood today , note the 1445hr entry

that means the legs are thrashed and it was to good to come in in am.

Only downside lots of spodes and heavy lift lines.

Oh yeah watch out for the now covered rocks, they will "rock" your world.

Dave*

[Hi Dave]

Glad it's got better there... I left on Xmas eve as it was so damp there. Inland was better, but the system was way too warm. Above Kamloops it's got a fair bit colder so the rain's no longer a problem, although it left a few layers in the snow.

I note that the propaganda machine was logging a depth of 100cm with 75cm in the last few days, which may well give the lie to some of their earlier protestations.

Another 8 cms claimed at pig alley, about 15cms up in alpine,

Had one of my stashes up to my nads for about 200meters of vert, leftovers from yesterday with more windblown on top, saaaaawwwwweeeeeet.

Its no contest for flotation the Rossi Undertaker is King.

Have been hitting lines over the past few days that were unthinkable a week ago secondary to rocks, stumps, blowdown, etc,

Only problem is Dave* needs a mars attacks style deathray to reduce the hordes of spodes clogging the lift lines, ergo the early lunch with a computer break

The Dave* on hill report.

The snow was GREAT! about 100 cm dropped in 5 days! I managed to hit some awesome lines off Harmony Chair and wished I could stay forever!

They are expecting about 70 more cm in the next 5 days! So if you can, head up for some pow pow!

-Gord

The previous week was much like Teri Hatchers chestal area " spectacular"

Still good just the frezzing level has shot up with high winds. no alpine open yesterday, harmony did just open today.

Many cms of wet heavy " west coast cement" have fallen, a bit of work in the trees but it all packs down into great base.

Today was day 9 in a row of 23 in a row, legs feeling it.

The Dave* just came off the hill report

Yesterday was epic, 35 40 cms and all things considered light lift lines in am, going to nonexistent after lunch, all that and good visibility. ( rare in whistler)

Today also quite good around 10 12 cm new around minus 3 to 5 celcius, the hill is almost deserted,

Base is quite nice from mid mtn up to alpine now

The way things have been going since after Xmas if coming to W/B bring something that will work in powder.

legs are thrashed ergo the lunch time update.

Time to get back at it.

the Dave* on hill report

Great to see that the west is finally getting some snow. We spent New Years at Kimberley and missed the good stuff by a week, they've had about 61cm and counting since last weekend. Fernie has been dumped on (+100cm this week) and has had three big avalanches to boot ... they have a lot of the hill roped off for avvy control at present. Four skiers were swept up last weekend when one of the slides ran into bounds, luckily they were promptly rescued. Castle Mountain has about 95cm for this week, and most of the BC hills are doing pretty well out of this weather pattern although it's still pretty warm ...

Plan to get to Sunshine this weekend and enjoy the 50cm of new they have there. Mmmm, fluffy stuff. Must remember to take the wider board this time.

An honest 31cms this am, prob another 10 15 t/o the day,

Harmony opened then shut at 1340 secondary to increased avy risk, ran over a slide that covered pikas traverse completely.

Peak no open today, should rock tomorrow except for the crowds that will show.

The Dave* end of day report.

Another 24 cms claimed this am, Snow Base in excellent shape, rode blackcomb today, got some very nice tree lines that havent been able to get in about two years , legs are tired beyond belief, on day twenty in a row.

Demo days last Sun/ Mon tried the 171 Prior ATV, fun board needs more stiffness for those of us over 200 lbs does float powder quite well.. Potentially the ultimate whistler all mtn hardboot board for those under 170 lbs.

Tried a libtech with the " magna trac" on a soft little 161 jibber board ( it was whimpering with my fat #$$ and hardboots on it), as skeptical as I was I think the libtech/gnu folks might actually have something there, went looking for ice n hardpack it does " bite in nicely" no problems with hooking an edge, straight lined nicely, although the demo tent kids explanation of how it worked was a joke

was told that only the tip n tail of my board edge ever touch the snow.

Would like to see a purpose built stiff BX deck with the "magnatrac" to see what it can do

The Dave* report