Note to New Members ×

The humblings of soft riding

jtslalom

i was riding at Mountain Creek South this morning. The conditions were pretty hard. the rain we had yesterday made the snow freeze up last night when the temperatures dropped. Soft riding on these conditions is tough. Sometimes it takes a humbling experience to get back on my RT. I rode with Eric J for three runs. While I was on my soft board having some sketchy runs, he was on his Mad 170 hard set-up holding ground much better. After riding two runs I wanted to go home to get the RT. No doubt that on harder conditions a soft board is no match for hard decks. For all you guys who think that hard decks are the only way to carve, your kidding yourselves. As the snow gets softer and riding a little easier, soft decks do just fine. It's only when the hill gets a little steeper and snow a little harder that there really isn't a comparison. Hard decks rule in these situations. I wish I had mine out this morning. Eric, good turning with ya but the next time we go riding I will be sure to have the Race Vas or RT.

I went to Okemo today and most of it was not groomed so the runs basically consisted of eight inches of fresh snow on top of whatever they had earlier. I wish I would have had a soft board for those conditions since I did not get that much carving in because of the bumps. I know the good guys would probably have fared better- but I am just not there yet. :(