Note to New Members ×

Rules and Regulation: Speed Boarding and Straight Descending

Linus

Last year, I got my ticket cut off by a patroller because I was speeding. Actually, I wasn’t but he thought that I was :mad: . Anyway, I was wondering what are the rules and regulations regarding speed boarding and straight descending on a public resort. How fast can I go? If I’m in control, is straight descending allowed?

Not that I want to kill myself, just curious about the regulations.

I seriously doubt there's any specific speed regulations otherwise the patrollers would have to carry radar guns. I'm sure it's a judgement call. The code says you have to be in control, so if the patroller judges you're not in control or that you can't stop quickly enough or that you're on a green run and scaring the crap out of the gates^h^h^h^h^hbeginners then you might get in trouble.

I seriously doubt there's any specific speed regulations otherwise the patrollers would have to carry radar guns. I'm sure it's a judgement call. The code says you have to be in control, so if the patroller judges you're not in control or that you can't stop quickly enough or that you're on a green run and scaring the crap out of the gates^h^h^h^h^hbeginners then you might get in trouble.

Is it possible to go fast on a green run? I'm not good enough to use beginners as the gates. :o

If it's a judgement call, then the patroller owned me. :nono:

Is it possible to go fast on a green run?
Hell yeah - maybe not fast by racer standards but definitely fast enough to where you could be a hazard to others. Of course, depends on what the resort calls green. Some of the greens at places like Lake Louise have pitches that would be called blue elsewhere. Plus they're looong and it's easy to build up a serious head of steam.
I'm not good enough to use beginners as the gates.
I was just joking about the gates. I always give the beginners a wide berth as they're usually nervous enough as it is. Going by them fast and close, even if there's no chance of a collision, can startle them and cause a crash.

Guest Randy S.

Back east when I was young was stupid. You got nailed for going fast almost any time. These days out west I find some consistency. There are areas marked for slow skiing for obvious reasons. I don't mind the patrol yelling at folks in these areas. Other places its more a question of the patroller determining that you are in control. In my experience, they're idea of an out of control speed is determined either by a) you looking completely out of control or b) them feeling out of control trying to keep up with/catch you. The former is OK. In my experience the latter is compromised in the situations where you are a better rider/skier than they are. I've seen tons of patrollers who would be way out of control trying to ski/ride at the speeds I find comfortable. But then again, I'm a speed freak. :smashfrea

Hi, funny comments everyone, I ride a factory prime 180s, I always have the appetite for launching off the lift staight down the,..:rolleyes: well we call them hills In Minnesota, as im drifting towards the head wall trying to lock my boots in my plates becuase i dont want to lose any speed:nono: . Ive never had anyone say anythings but that was really cool, then at the bottom just trenching a 360 then cruising to the lift to do it again....What A Rush!!! Just do it! But On the comment before this one I do make sure I have Clearance!

I don't often go that fast. My 'bottle' gives out waaaaay before I get to escape/terminal velocity. But I got overtaken buy a ski school once, I'm fairly sure they were going pretty fast :)

I've never actually heard of patrollers taking tickets away for speeding on the piste over here. Dangerous behaviour, yeah, and causing accidents _due_ to going too fast, but we don't have speed traps (yet, give Sarkozy time, give him time). I've removed a few passes myself though, generally for people slaloming heavily on drag lifts or using their snowboards as sleds on the slopes.

Simon