Note to New Members ×

Funny trick

Phil

I can't believe that I never thought of this. Maybe you guys have thought of, or done it before.

When you are in the lift line with a buddy on skis, wait until the chair is only a few feet behind you, then step on his/her binding release. You will both sit on the chair and be wisked away while the ski falls behind and has to be brought up by the next chair. :eplus2:

Why didn't I think of that?? I can't wait to try it.

I can just see myself using the Chris Farley "What did you do?" as they try to figure it out.:D :eplus2:

I recall this from my teens - we used to use our ski poles to release someone else's bindings -- I think the lifties hated it because they had to scoop forward to snatch up the ski left behind and slow the lift to hand it to the next chair. Don't expect the skier, liftie, or folks in line to be entirely in love with you with this trick. :angryfire

At certain resorts, certain lift operators have been known to do that. To each other, to the ski instructors, etc.

It's naughty and dangerous, as the victim may well turn round suddenly and get a chair full in the face[1].

But not as naughty or dangerous as waiting until a snowboarder has grabbed a perch on a fairly violent draglift and holding him down by the shoulders until the perch is fully extended, then letting go. Yes, I landed it, much to my surprise.

Simon

[1] Better to do it at the gate, that way they get left behind looking like an arse, and nobody gets hurt.