Note to New Members ×

Buying boots

Guest vaguelyevilguy

Guest vaguelyevilguy

I'm looking into getting my first alpine setup, but the idea of ordering boots intimidates me. It seems like it's impossible to tell whether a boot will really fit you until after you've hot-molded it, and after that you can't return it. I was thinkin of those raichle 413's or something like that more on the comfort end of things.

I work at a ski warehouse and have been learning how to bootfit people.

I would highly highly recommend trying the boots out if at all possible from somebody who already has them. You never know how your foot will fit in it and your foot might simply not be the right shape for the boots.

If you can't do this however, it seems like you could buy them, wear them and return them as long as you don't do the hot-mold??? Here are some things to check for:

When you first put your foot in the boot, knock your heel to the ground while sitting down. This will push your foot back into the heel cup because no matter what you will probably feel your toes at the end of the boot if you go straight in right away. Once you have knocked your foot back, buckle it up loosely on the bottom two buckles (these really don't serve too much of a purpose- the big key here is to make sure you don't buckle the second buckle (from the toes) too tight because this will push your foot down and flatten your arch. For the first half hour or three quarters of an hour you will feel fine but then you will start hurting a lot and getting tired. :freak3:

Buckle up the top buckles and push your leg forward and lean your shin against the front several times. This will also pull your leg back into the proper riding position. If your toes are pushing against the front at this point the boot is probably too small. If they are touching the front though, without pressure it is acceptible.

Three other spots to consider: You want to make sure your calf isn't being pinched anywhere- you may want to play around with socks for this and see if you could get rid of any pinching. Another spot to consider is the ball of your foot. Watch it when you stand up and lean forward: it gets wider. Make sure the boot isn't too tight around the ball and is allowing it too widen when you lean forward. The third point is right around the ankle. Many times the boot may have a pressure point right there. You can usually see this when you flex forward: the plastic of the boot shell pulls out a bit.

Many of these issues, if minor, could probably be taken care of when you hot-mold them. These are just the pressure points and "foot particularities" I have learned about in fitting people and trying on a lot of boots in the store when business is slow. :lurk:

Good luck!!!!

I'm looking into getting my first alpine setup, but the idea of ordering boots intimidates me. It seems like it's impossible to tell whether a boot will really fit you until after you've hot-molded it, and after that you can't return it. I was thinkin of those raichle 413's or something like that more on the comfort end of things.

The great thing about buying boots thru Bomber is you can send them back if the dont fit and go up or down another size.

VEG, you dont say where you are from or else somebody might be able to direct you ta one of the few retailers out there, other than that you are somewhat limited. My experience online has been nothing but positive. I rode a pair of Raichle 124s for years and decided to upgrade. I went with the AF 600 but they did not work for me (felt like everything below the knees was on a hinge and I had poor edge control-I went up a size and had to increase my binding angles-my fault). I sold them here at a small loss and bought the proper size Head Strato Pros and have been very happy with them. There may be some riders in your area with an extra pair that you can try. It sounds as if the 413s would be a good boot for your level but again would recommend trying to get together with a more experienced alpine rider or shell out some hard earned cash for a lesson or clinic. It will save you alot of effort getting set up properly and with good technique instead of shooting in the dark and struggling on the hill.