Note to New Members ×

Tahoe

Guest OCD

I know there a few Tahoe riders amongst us. Any recommendations? I’ll be up for Xmas and would like the low down on the best resorts and deals if it’s not too much trouble. I’ve been to Squaw but would like to try somewhere else.

If you can get to Kirkwood...

1. It's got some of the best snow conditions out of most of the mountains

2. It's a bit more "out there" and therefore has less of a crowd to deal with (the people that go there aren't going because its "there" but actually because they want to be there) ie- less tourists and once-a-years

3. Of all the mountains I've been to at Tahoe (Northstar, Boreal, Mt. Snow, Alpine, Squaw, Northstar, Diamond Peak, Sierra) that is the one where I have seen the most Alpine boarders

If you are going during high season stay away from Northstar, Alpine and Squaw

Otherwise they are awesome too- I personally like Northstar.. but thats because I used to get their season passes and was located in Truckee

Mount Rose is also a great carving mountain. And it has quite a big group of carvers on a regular basis. From my experience it's also not too crowded unlike some of the other resorts around Tahoe.

But if you spend more than two or three days in the area you might also want to give some of the other resorts a try- just choose your days wisely (as skipuppy already suggested). Around the holidays - christmas eve and christmas day are usually not too bad. But between christmas day and new yeas most resorts are a zoo...

If you are still around after x-mas you might want to think about just doing half days in the morning - most holiday visitors are not really early risers...

I am of no help as I'm a Squaw girl forever. LOL! Wanted to tell you to have a blast, though! And check out the candy shop in Truckee and the Silver Legacy's Victorian Buffet in Reno. If they still have those things, mind you. It has been ten years. The candy shop has these champagne truffles and the buffet is hella good, hella cheap. And fish tacos at Sunnyside. You must have fish tacos. Sunnyside is on the west shore, not far from Tahoe City. And go to The Red Dog Saloon (that doesn't sound right, for some reason!) in Squaw's Opera House building and/or Humpty's in Tahoe City to get your brew on! And those are Jager's Tahoe Recommendations! :biggthump Use at your own risk! LOL!

Does anyone know if they ever rebuilt Smokey's, the little restaurant at the entrance to Squaw? Let me know because if they did, you must have an omelet there! Amazing!

Guest Randy S.

If you get to Alpine Meadows, let me know. I'll be there the entirety of Xmas break. I'm often one of the only carvers on the hill, but would love to show you around. Alpine limits ticket sales so rarely do we wait more than 5-10 mins in line even over Xmas. Just show up by 8:45 or 9:00. Once the parking lot is full, that's it. We have some great carving and good off-piste. Especially on the back side where we now have a hi-speed quad. Alpine and Squaw are probably 45 mins from where you are staying.

Northstar isn't bad for carving, but I'd avoid it like the plague over Xmas. Its a freakin zoo and parking sucks.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I’ll probably hit Rose up first and then head to Alpine meadows. I’ll get in touch Randy when it’s closer to the time, it would be great to ride with someone familiar with the place. Thanks for all the great info, hope my legs can handle it!

gonna be up there around x mas as well. actually staying in reno but planning on going up to squaw for a couple of day trips, since there seems to be enough things to do there for my non snowboarding family. definitely hitting up Mt. Rose on the last day since I purchased advanced tickets.

anyone have any recommendations for alpine-friendly trails for either place?

Guest Randy S.

Sharples,

If you go to Squaw, track down John K (look for him in the members list above). There's also RobRidesSquaw and a few others. I don't know how old you are or what you like to ride. John is in his 30s or 40s and Rob is a teenager, if that matters. Also you can look for the Squaw snowboard team run by Mort Nyberg. Depending on what they're doing, and how good you are, you may be able to make some turns with them.

Shirley Lake, Granite Chief, Siberia, all are good carving spots IMO. Also some of the runs down to Squaw Creek if they are open by then (we still need more snow). If you get over to Alpine Meadows (next door to Squaw), track me down. I'll likely be on radio channel 20-4.

Randy