Note to New Members ×

WOOHOO!!! Mid-Atlantic Opening Day!

SWriverstone

FINALLY!!! Opening Day for our three closest resorts here in the Mid-Atlantic (Whitetail, Liberty, and RoundTop) is set for this Friday at 9am! WOOHOO!!! Time to get the boards out of the attic and mount the bindings! :) It's been 8 long months, and I'm gonna celebrate by carving my legs off all day Friday! :)

The best thing too is that after 8 months, our little mountains will seem like ASPEN! LOL

Scott

Yeah Scott!! I heard on the news this morning that the mid-atlantic is getting some snow. (My dad lives in Harrisburg and my mom lives in the Poconos). Should make opening day great!

I've had two days on snow already. Sorry, but I don't miss PA one bit!

Kathy

Montana

Guest Andrew S

Jasen, why don't you get in whatever car replaced that Mini of yours and drive up to Maine. It's only about 14 hours from Pittsburgh, so it can'tttt be much worse from NC.

Andrew

wow am i ignorant. I had no idea that NC actually got that much snow! damn!

They don't---they make it all. :) Actually, they might get a little more up in the mountains (they're around 4,000' there).

I've heard it said that Mid-Atlantic and North Carolina resorts can kick any resort's butt in the US when it comes to cranking out bogus snow! (Dubious distinction?) Seriously, though---these guys in snow-starved areas are experts at manufacturing it.

Scott

Too bad beech is full of punks though. Some morons threw my board down on a sidewalk...looks like I went rock-boarding with it. Not sure why. :mad:

Going to sugar next friday, hopefully it won't be a repeat experience.

i track down those mother f***ers slit their tires:angryfire

are you on the MAC mailing list? if not, welcome to join. prolly about 10+- a few, it's great way to communicate. MAC = Mid Atlantic Carvers (our main mountains are Liberty, 'Tail, and 'Top.

not sure where I'm going yet this weekend but maybe we'll run into each other.

===

Barry

Mark, Barry, Phil, et. al. (MAC guys)...I'm planning to be at Whitetail at 9am tomorrow! :) That's assuming I can get my truck out (depending on how much snow we get). I'm all prepared though—got my shovel and scraper/snow broom by the door, and 6 cinderblocks and a set of chains in the back of the truck! :biggthumpNOTHING will stop me from my first day—even if I have to hike to Whitetail!

I'll head up to RT either Sat or Sun (not sure which, depends on the kid schedule). Look forward to seeing you guys again!

Scott

PS - LOL Phil---yes, I said "bogus!" :) But it's excellent bogus! (And might be covered in several inches of natural stuff tomorrow!)

Guest dudleydudley
Mark, Barry, Phil, et. al. (MAC guys)...I'm planning to be at Whitetail at 9am tomorrow! :) That's assuming I can get my truck out (depending on how much snow we get). I'm all prepared though—got my shovel and scraper/snow broom by the door, and 6 cinderblocks and a set of chains in the back of the truck! :biggthumpNOTHING will stop me from my first day—even if I have to hike to Whitetail!

Scott, I'll be keeping an eye on the Whitetail webcam for you. :)

First Day at Whitetail!

I dug the truck out early this morning and headed up to Whitetail. Secondary roads were dicey, but the interstate was fine. I was psyched to see on arrival at 9am that it was not crowded---only 50 cars or so in the upper lot.

When I got to the lifts, I was a little bummed that SnowPark (a great carving slope and the ideal warm-up run) wasn't open yet (they were still cleaning snow off the chairs). So my only choice for first run of the season was a steep blue (Angel Drop) or the bunny slope. Well, I wasn't about to knuckle under to the bunny slope, no way! :) So on to the high-speed quad I went.

I fell about 10 times in the upper third of the run---all just low-side blowouts on turns. By about halfway down, I was starting to feel the ol' mojo coming back. :)

SnowPark was open by the time I got back down, so I got one of the first runs down that in fresh powder---awesome! About 12 runs later, I was wiped, and suffering from pretty bad quad-burn.

I think I'm suffering from "First Day, Second Season Syndrome"---because I'm better now than I was on my first day last season, I was really pushing the turns hard today...and it was wiping me out! 3 hours was all I could handle, so I split.

Conditions were excellent early, and had deteriorated somewhat due to crazy-high winds---gusts up to 40mph at times, scouring the powder down to hard crunchy stuff beneath.

Still, Whitetail is in excellent shape---the best opening day for them in years (definitely better than last year!). With all this cold weather, they should be heaping it on before those inevitable 45-degree days we'll get later!

Scott