Note to New Members ×

Step-in/Standard...mix and match

John K

John K, I use the front standard and rear step-in, that way I canhave the convenience of step ins on two boards rather than having just one board with both bindings being step ins. How often do you unclip out of the front binding anyway. I know a few people that run this setup. I haven't noticed any big changes or variations between the rigid connection of step ins vs. standards

I use a step in the rear and a standard binding in the front. With the old Burton rat trap bindings I found it difficult to step in on the front (without having at least one foot already clipped in). They were always misfiring. So I found it easier.

I still have this setup now that I have Catek Intec, but I probably don’t need to, I was just used to it, so I bought my new bindings that way. This setup works fine for me.

I’m wondering why you want to mix and match. Do you have 2 boards and only want to spring for one set of bindings? If so, I’ve been told that you should try to keep the same manufacturer on the front and back.

After two years of stepins, I tried some standard bails yesterday.... I really missed the convenience of stepins.

Has anyone used a stepin in the back and a standard bail in front? Any issues to be concerned about mixing and matching?

Thanks

JK

I know some guys who use bail in front and SI in back… works fine… BUT, depending on what size guy you are I think it’s more important to see which binding delivers you better performance over convenience!

If you are a big guy you might not feel much loss of lateral flex with step-ins. For some lighter guys it’s sometimes helpful to stick with bail bindings to get enough lateral flex.... but on the other hand, regular bails might be to soft if you are a big guy… or, you might not even want lateral flex.

I would test for performance and would make the decision that way...

:)

Danielle

The obvious benefit is that you can enter/exit your rear boot much easier with stepins than with standard. I did it because of cost. I had two boards, but only one pair of stepins. I then came across a killer deal on a set of standards. Since the rear foot is the one we exit/enter after each run it only makes sense to place one stepin on the rear of each board. Long story short...it's more convenient and cheaper!

Miguel

I'm running TD1s and TD2s like this, primarily because I was getting some pretty killer intec cable pain, which luckily only happened in my front foot, so running standards in the front worked out perfectly.

I wanted to get the lift kit for the TD1s though, as the deck height betweeen the two is slightly different, IIRC. Unfortunately, Bomber is no longer producing the lift kit for the TD1.

Stepin stiffness is fine for me even so I am light... I rely on my old 224 boots to allow lateral flex.

Thanks everyone... yup, I bought the standards so that I could set up a board for friends to try the sport and I could run them on my powder board. Having been on step ins for 3 years now...... I love the convenience so I will split them up now and run em mixed.....

LAST Question.... Any concern with standards about the lack of tolerance with the intec heal pin??

Thanks again

JK