Note to New Members ×

ill-fitting Malamutes

Yard Sale

I rode my new Salomon Malamute boots for opening day and they killed me. Is there anything I can do to widen/stretch them?

I got Superfeet beds. I had the liners heat-molded. They feel pretty good in my 66 degree house but I guess they shrink at the mountain temperature. I couldn't make it from the parking lot to the lift without loosening them. Then I had to take them off after the first run. Then I went home after the second run. Unbelievable pain like my feet were in vices.

My feet are 26.2 cm long and these are mondo 27, just so I could fit the width. I tried on every imaginable soft boot and hardly any of them fit my feet. I'm committing to fitted hard boots for everything else but my powder board.

I rode my new Salomon Malamute boots for opening day and they killed me. Is there anything I can do to widen/stretch them?

I got Superfeet beds. I had the liners heat-molded. They feel pretty good in my 66 degree house but I guess they shrink at the mountain temperature. I couldn't make it from the parking lot to the lift without loosening them. Then I had to take them off after the first run. Then I went home after the second run. Unbelievable pain like my feet were in vices.

My feet are 26.2 cm long and these are mondo 27, just so I could fit the width. I tried on every imaginable soft boot and hardly any of them fit my feet. I'm committing to fitted hard boots for everything else but my powder board.

Yeah, the Malamutes have a narrow fit except in the toes. I keep mine comfy by putting an old set of hardboot footbeds, which are actually a tad on the wide side for me, in the Malamute liners. It kinda spreads the liners out and makes them more comfy.

Did you pick out your Superfeet based on shoe or boot size, or did you choose based on arch fit and then cut to fit your boot? If you did the former, check the placement of the arch... and do the latter if necessary. Having a footbed with the arch in the wrong spot is worse then riding without a footbed.

If there is no evidence whatsoever that you rode in them, you could always try to return or exchange them. Salomon makes a "Synapse Wide" this year that might be the ticket.

If you can't do that, put 'em on inside and flex them as hard as you can, breaking them in a bit will probably help. I pre-broke in my Malamutes by flexing them hard indoors.

My new Head Stratos Pros hurt like hell today, too. Removing the Superfeet helped (but of course caused other problems). I got home and checked the Superfeet to other soles/footbeds of mine and the arches were way too close to the heels. I just had the shop pick the "right" Superfeet for me when I bought the Heads and when I had the Malamutes heat molded. I shoulda paid more attention.

OK, how about recommending a specific "nice wide set of footbeds?" The bootfitter showed me some cu$tom cork ones, but at that price I'll just try a pair of Salomon Synapse Wide.

Anybody wanna buy a pair of Malamutes? Only used for 6000 vertical feet.

Gleb, my hardboots are getting widened overnight. Must be a different machine.

OK, how about recommending a specific "nice wide set of footbeds?" The bootfitter showed me some cu$tom cork ones, but at that price I'll just try a pair of Salomon Synapse Wide.

Anybody wanna buy a pair of Malamutes? Only used for 6000 vertical feet.

Gleb, my hardboots are getting widened overnight. Must be a different machine.

If you can't solve the problem with your malamutes, let me know. I have a friend that might be interested.