Note to New Members ×

soft boot sizing

Yard Sale

I see a combination of US Men's and Mondo sizing for soft boots. Should I ignore the US sizing? Is it brand-specific? I'm definately a mondo 26.5 (confirmed by boot fitters), which works out to something like 8.5 US in some of the combined size charts for softies. Trouble is, I'm definately a 10.5 US street shoe; my motorcycle boots are even size 11. My 10.5 works out to mondo 28 or 29 on those charts, way too long.

I'm really only interested in Salomon Malamutes, maybe F24 or something similarly stiff. Should I go by the Salomon mondo size or US size?

I tried on a Salomon F20 in mondo 26.5/US 8.5 and it fit my 10.5 foot fine. Same for a Burton Driver X in US 9 (brand B doesn't use mondo). Unfortunately the shop doesn't stock Malamutes or Synapses. I was thinking I would have to get the Synapse Wide but now I don't think so.

Further proof that you should heed Bomber's boot fitting advice and ignore conversion charts/US sizes.

I tried on a Salomon F20 in mondo 26.5/US 8.5 and it fit my 10.5 foot fine. Same for a Burton Driver X in US 9 (brand B doesn't use mondo). Unfortunately the shop doesn't stock Malamutes or Synapses. I was thinking I would have to get the Synapse Wide but now I don't think so.

Further proof that you should heed Bomber's boot fitting advice and ignore conversion charts/US sizes.

Yep, I agree, the size conversions are worthless. The "measure your foot" meathod is IMHO not always relaible either. Example: My feet both measure between 26.5 and 27 cm when standing in my footbeds (in other words, so that my arch is supported). In Salomon Malamutes I use a 26.0. In Burton softies I had to squeeze into a 9, and in Vans I needed a 9.5. In Raichle hardboots w/ thermo liners, I use a 25. I could probably squeeze into a 24 if I really wanted to but the 25 is very comfy and is more than adequately snug.

In the case of both the Salomon softies and and Raichle hard shells, the "shell test" yields the best size for me.

Have you tried Shoreline Snowboards on Kingsbury Grade in S.L.T. yet for Synapse / Malamute?

if you measured your foot at a mondo 26.5...its not a 10.5 foot then. 10.5 would be closer to a 28.5...2cm difference...

shoe sizes are a JOKE...mondo size should be accurate but isnt always. no idea why as it seems like it would be a matter of heel to toe, inside, in cm.

seems like if the boots have a moldable liner, then the "finger test" should work with a softboot as well, no?