Note to New Members ×

Cant education

mnfusion

I have read what I can about cants. Someone please educate me more. I am riding a Volkl Cross with Burton Drivers and Burton X bindings. Yes I know this is not a hard boot set-up, I prefer stiff softies. Now I plan on carving and racing boardercross this year. What will cants do for this set up? Are they needed for softies? Do I just need a rear or also a front? What degree is best? My first carving board, a Burton PJ with 3-strap flex bindings, I used a rear foot cant and liked how it took pressure off my back leg and pushed my rear knee forward resulting in better carving. Though I had and still do not have much clue on the use and need for a soft boardercross set up. Thanks.

Canting is important because it is responsible for locating your knees. Knees are nice joints, and generally considered useful for pretty much anything.

To give you an idea of what proper (and improper) canting can do, try standing with your feet around shoulder width apart (or whatever feels comfortable). Now try bringing your knees together while keeping your feet apart, and try to walk. If you're adventurous, try jumping or bending over. Repeat with your knees apart.

That is what improper canting can do to your riding.