Note to New Members ×

Tuning

Alex Walters

Ok so I'm getting my board real soon (ordering today) and I need to know what I need for tuning. I'm spending a lot on board and bindings so I'm looking for bare minimum to keep my board in good shape so it'll last me a while. Obviously I need wax and an iron and I've got that covered. But what else will I need. I was thinking:

Universal Wax

Wax Iron

Wax Scraper

True Bar

Riller Bar (do I really need one?)

Fine and/or Medium DMT stone

Gummi Stone

Multi Edge Tuner

The big questions are do I really need a riller bar, do I really need structure if I'm not doing anything serious? And should I get a file, guide and clamp instead of the multi edge tuner? I'm not going to change any angles, just gonna use it for once a season sharpening. Is there anything you'd add or take away from this list?

Guest AlpentalRider

Add a Nylon brush, natural cork, and maybe fibertex (optional).

I'd remove the riller bar, just get a stone grind once a year (or every other year).

The multiedge will work fine during the season for tuning up those edges.

Guides and clamps make it easier, but aren't mandatory.

The big questions are do I really need a riller bar, do I really need structure if I'm not doing anything serious? And should I get a file, guide and clamp instead of the multi edge tuner? I'm not going to change any angles, just gonna use it for once a season sharpening. Is there anything you'd add or take away from this list?

Lose the riller bar and the true bar. A wide scraper will make do as a true bar at least for your purposes. A stone grind once a season will fix concavity or base high conditions and will take care of structure for you.

A good combo brush helps, as do scotchbrite pads.

Also a good board vice comes in handy.

Zardoz for the spring :D

I use the products from RAY at a daily bases when I am in the season.

These products are easy to use, do the job well, simple and fast, and are cheap.

http://www.alpineskituning.com/

Before the season starts I give my board and skis one hotwax with an iron, scraper and some nylon and steel brushes (all products from TOKO).

I have some graphite repair candles to fill up deeper holes.

A gummie for my skis and some sandpaper to do the steel edges. An edge sharpener from tooltonic.

Greets, Hans.

Lose the riller bar and the true bar. A wide scraper will make do as a true bar at least for your purposes. A stone grind once a season will fix concavity or base high conditions and will take care of structure for you.

A good combo brush helps, as do scotchbrite pads.

Also a good board vice comes in handy.

Zardoz for the spring :D

I'm getting some scothbrite pads. I just didn't put them on the list. I'll definatly loose the riller bar and true bar and I'll get a combo brush. Also does anyone know where to get a good stonegrind either in LA or where I can mail my board?