Note to New Members ×

Help needed with Delamination

John K

Picked up some skis for my son on ebay and one had a delaminated tip.

What is the best epoxy to use??

Any other suggestions on fixing them?

They also have a gouge that runs to the edge, but the edge is not bent. When I have tryed to repair stuff like that before, the ptex doesn't stick to the edge is there a trick?

Thanks in advance for your help

John

Guest Randy S.

There goes the first $50 of your Granite Chief discount card.

I think there's some info on Tognar or Race-Werks web site about repairs. As for the p-tex, I'd let a shop do it. Theirs always stay in longer than mine do.

I hope you got 'em cheap.

BTW REI has put their ski gear out. Stuff left over from last year is majorly discounted. I'm going to get some boots for Syd tonight. They are around $45.

that is specifically meant to bond to edges and core, its called metal grip, at reliable racing the item # for it is 10942

once you put a little of this down then you put some regular ptex on top of it

as for the epoxy usually the types that take a little longer to set hold up much better.

Most 24 hour epoxies will do the trick. If you have access to west systems, that will be closest to what the skis were made with, otherwise, just buy a pack from WalMart, K-Mart, or your local hardware store. Be generous with it, letting the excess squeeze out when you clamp things together.

Most sintered bases have what's called a zero melt index. In other words they can't be remelted. This makes it impossible to weld the material to something similar. This is why most p-tex candle jobs eventually fall out. I believe the p-tex used in p-tex guns have a bonding agent in them. If they were mine and I really wanted to repair them right, I'd patch the base by cutting away a section of base and then epoxy in a patch the exact same size, much like a die cut. That's the only way to repair a base and get the same properties out of the repair as the rest of the base.