Note to New Members ×

Anyone else pumped about the NHL season?

skategoat

"They don't love the game", "All they care about is money", etc...

As it should be!!!!

Listen, we may sit on the sidelines and dream about playing the sport we love, but to these guys it is their job. There is a big difference between doing something for recreation or fun and having it be your job. How many here went to college to study to do something you couldn't wait to do? How many now still have the same passion for that job? How many stay at their job because of the pay? How many look at what the company makes and say they can afford to pay me more? How many here overinflate(sp?) the importance of their job?

My point is that yea we think they have a great job and they get paid alot and shouldn't complain, but how many here would want more money if you knew your career would only last 10 years? whould you demand as much money as you could get? Especially if that was industry pay? Or would you say, "no I love what I do sooooo much, pay me less"?

These guys work their asses off. They put themselves through pain on a daily basis. Waking up with it. Playing through it. And having it linger long after the season or their career is over. They are one injury away from losing the dream. The contracts are not guaranteed. These guys have alot to lose. They live out of suitcasses 3/4 of the year. Never being home long or able to be with their families or loved ones. If anyone here has really known a pro athlete they know what that life is really like and I'm sure most people would not want it. It's not all money and glory. You have to want to play the game to go through what they do.

As always remember, if you really think that the pro athlete and owners make too much money stop going to the games, watching them on TV, buying pro products, listening to them on the radio, etc... They are paid what they are because the fan pumps money into the machine.

Ok, enough soapbox...LETS PLAY HOCKEY!!!! (and snowboard)