Note to New Members ×

OT (kind of): eMachineshop.com...

astrokel

I've used them before. They're fine for basic stuff but it's easy to out grow their software. A few of the local Ferrari guys have been using them to make spacers so they can fit COPs inside of their 355 motors.

Prices are fine for prototypes. Lead times are "meh." The only real nice thing about the place is the realtime quoting.

If you really want stuff made, your best bet is to go through the phonebook and take a look at what's local. You'll get the same (or shorter) lead times without any shipping delays, the price will be about the same, and you can use much better software. If you already have a solid modeler, use that. Otherwise, Alibre DesignXpress is cheap and slow (it's Java), but it will get the job done. It's nowhere near as good as WildFire or FlacidWorks, but it's also something like $50/seat instead of $3-4k.

I may give them a try or at least a chance to quote. I use SolidWorks and Pro-E to do machine design so I have the need for most all processes. I have my usual favorite vendors with whom I have a great working relationship but there are times when lead time conflict with what the boss wants. So when and if I use them I’ll report back and give a review – thanks for the tip.