Note to New Members ×

Rad Air Tanker 186

Everything Marvin said here, but this is the 30th anniversary edition with the flat profile. Set up with F2 step-ins and softish UPZs.

A bit more detail from two days on the snow:

• Handled all conditions with aplomb. Milled through chop and cut-up windblown like it was creamy schmaltz. I didn't run into a lot of groom, but edge hold was strong on hardpack. Does not drift when flatbasing on cat tracks.
  • Hiked the south headwall at Lovey and the light weight was noticeable on the climb. Confident fast turns on the steeps. Holds speed well on the run out.
  • I was sure I'd be looking for a replacement after uncovering a string of rocks on a deep heelside but the base/edge were barely nicked.
  • Like all Rad Airs, it looks great.

Compared to the old Glissade I fought with on every single maneuver for a few runs earlier on Day 2, the Tanker feels like an extension of myself ("No think, no think, no think, just ride").

The updated 186 is quite a bit wider than my old Heli-cat but I still have to run pretty steep angles. It does make me curious about the 200, though...

• Like 1