Note to New Members ×

Seattle Scene

bartron

From what I have seen on BOL, probably similar to Portland/ Mt Hood and Bend. Half dozen to a dozen frequent riders. We definitely need to put together a West Coast or PNWES this coming season, even if it is informal.

It is a blast to get a bunch of carvers together. SES showed that to me big time! What a great time to share ideas and rippin!! When 4-6 guys are all carving at MHM , that is a big dig day!

Time to start some ideas flowing! Bryan

www.pnwes.com Future site of "Pacific Northwest Expression Session"

Ideally it would be a place for any PNW happenings to be posted etc.

Ride at Stevens Pass, you may find 2-3 carvers at any one time at most, at any of the Resorts. We are all friendly though, and will show you our favorite runs w/o too much arm twisting! Did have one banner day ,at the close of season before last, with 8 riders tearing up Crystal Mt. for a half day. As far as shops go, most will just look at you strange-like and ask what is that? Had a stupid kid at a shop in Bellingham tell me I could put "real" bindings on my split-board rather than that old-school stuff I had (Snowpro stepins on my slider tracks!)

as a former seattlite (i long for seattle), i'd pick stevens pass and mt baker. unfortunely mt baker's for deep powder riding. hard booting there? what a joke. and ryan mcdonald, team b or so for US olympics is a native of uh... wenatchee, if my memory serves me correctly. Or wasn't it Entiat ? I need to go back/move back to Seattle.

Guest thomas_m

Stevens for carving

Baker for pow

Crystal for boarding with the kids

Snoqualmie for weekday nights after work on a dirt cheap season pass

Exceptions for all of the above but that's how my trends seem to go. And Jon was right, that closing day at Crystal in 2003/2004 was a blast.

T.

has a snowboard race program for kids, have seen a few up at Stevens Pass at times. There are a few techs at Baker that know what hardbooting is. Very few runs up at Baker for carving, that is where I started out in hardboots. Now that I ride the backcountry in hardboots, though, I guess anything is fair play! But Stevens Pass is probably the best for carving, followed very closely by Crystal. Snoqualmie is just too low altitude wise for consistent carvable snow.

Hi, what's the carving scene in Seattle like ? How many carvers, where/when do they carve, hardboot-friendly shops, etc.

Thanks.

Seattle is great place but it can be wet snow a lot of times. Whistler is a better place - 4 hr drive. Prior is there if you want to demo. Not many pro-places here support the hardboot scene. If it wasn't for Ebay and Bomber - don't know where you'd find anything. Snowperformance is a great source of help from Sean and Gavin. Another great thing about Seattle - You can snowbaord in the morning and comeback and play 18 holes of golf or water ski the same day. Not many places can offer that.

Another great thing about Seattle - You can snowbaord in the morning and comeback and play 18 holes of golf or water ski the same day. Not many places can offer that.

Amen to that! Long time no see, C5. :) And sturgeon. did you eat it ?

Amen to that! Long time no see, C5. :) And sturgeon. did you eat it ?

RE: sturgeon - The big ones are catch and release only since they are the important breeders. I love sturgeon - 3 -6 footers are ok to keep. If you BBQ them with a little pepper and lemon and the important Alder wood chips for the slight smoky flavor - it is heaven with a great Oregon Pinot Noir

hmm. talked to a former northwesterner, he said he heard there was vandalism at bonneville dam aquarium with that 200+ years old sturgeon. is that true ?

Have not heard anything about an aquarium but if there is one with a big sturgeon in it I hope the guy let it go to wild and released it in the Columbia River. It would be sad to see one of these magnificent fish in a tank.

Probably around 50 + carvers in the area. As the snow falls it can get pretty active. If you post here for riding partners you should get some responses. Weather permitting this year I am going to try to do City League at the pass but will be mostly around Crystal. Shoot me an e-mail if you want to ride sometime. Rumblings of a Northwest Session in the future (pretty informal is my guess) but a great bunch of people in the whole region. C'mon, snow dammit!

There was supposed to be a Mount Hood Expression Session last season year, but it got canned because nobody wanted to subject their rock boards to last season's conditions.

Hopefully we'll have one this year though... Watch http://www.mhes.net/ for the scoop. It's in Oregon by the way, about 5 hours drive from Seattle.

As for me, I'm at the Snoqualmie areas most weekends.