Note to New Members ×

Mirror, mirror, who has the priciest ski passes of them all?

Pat Donnelly

Summit Daily News

August 13, 2005

spacer.gif

ASPEN - Mirror, mirror on the ski town wall, who has the priciest season pass of all? It all depends upon how early in the season you buy the pass of course, but it would appear that Sun Valley or perhaps Vail is at the top.

Sun Valley will charge $1,775 for an unrestricted pass for next winter. Vail won't announce its price until September, but last winter it charged $1,649 for a comparable pass. Jackson Hole is at $1,595 and Aspen is at $1,579, although both prices will soon rise.

And on down the line: Telluride at $1,375, Deer Valley at $1,345, Park City at $950, Steamboat at $925 and Crested Butte at $768.

For bottom feeders, there are all sorts of deals, even at many of these same ski areas. Vail has 10- and 20-day passes, while Jackson Hole has a pass called the Weekend Warrior. The smaller ski areas, in contrast, almost give away their passes. At Snow King, a small ski area located in the town of Jackson, the season pass costs all of $99.

Aspen trolls for skies in the Denver market

ASPEN - It's a three-and-a-half hour drive from Denver to Aspen, with turnoffs for 12 ski areas along the way. Still, Aspen sees some Front Range skiers - and hopes to see more.

Last year the Aspen Skiing co. introduced a seven-day Classic Pass, at a cost of $179. The pass was intended as a counter to the Colorado Passport, which allows unlimited access to three ski resorts in Summit County plus 10 days at Vail, Beaver Creek, or both. This year, the price has gone up to $219.

"Our Classic Pass was very successful in the Front Range, as well as the (Roaring Fork) valley," David Perry, senior vice president of marketing, told The Aspen Times. He would not divulge how successful the pass has been, but the Times said he clearly feels there are more customers to tap from the Front Range.

However, he did say that the average purchaser of one of the Vail Resorts passes uses it nine times; he did not give comparable figures for those purchasing Aspen's pass.

Another record month at Eisenhower Tunnel

EISENHOWER TUNNEL - Interstate 70 just keeps getting busier and busier. During July, 1.1 million vehicles traveled through the twin tunnels, making it the busiest month since the first bore opened in 1973. Despite the weekend-clogging of ski season, summer remains the busiest time of the year at the tunnel.

all the more reason to love Alyeska and it's season passes that roughly equal a dividend(approx $1,000). When Vail or Aspen can give me a mid-week powder day and only have to share the whole mtn with about 10 others, maybe I'll consider those prices. 60 degree lines don't hurt either :eek:

You guys are finding me reasons to stay out here!! $199 got me the midweek pass at Stevens Pass, purchased at the end of the season. Gets me weekdays & Sunday nites till March, then unlimited. I WILL be taking a few weekdays off to use this one.

That's a worthy deal, ONLY if they get -ALOT- more snow than they did recent winter. I'll ask Ullr, the snowgod, to give ye a blessing. (Ive ridden Stevens Pass when I was a seattlite, and im very impressed with the terrain)