Note to New Members ×

OT - In line with the Sink or Float Experts + a Gun

C5 Golfer

Did not want to thread jack but good theories in that post. Plus I am bored waiting for a part to come out of my 3D ABS printer.

Here is one to use your smarts.

What if you took a large caliber handgun and made it out of some special material where the gun weighed what a normal bullet does – 240gr lets say – and made the bullet out of a special material that weighed as much as a normal gun – lets say 40oz. Now take a 6’ guy weighing about 200 lbs and he fires this monster holding in a normal way. What would happen??? And no I do not have a video and yes it would not be pretty!

:smashfrea:flamethro

Guest Randy S.

speaking of guns and engineering, i have a question. on tv and movies, guns with tiny little silencers make little "pfft" noises when fired. Is this really what a silenced weapon sounds like? Even big ones? Anyone got a .wav or .mov or .mp3 of an actual gun with silencer being fired? How about with a big gun?

One's mind wanders during summer, doesn't it?

speaking of guns and engineering, i have a question. on tv and movies, guns with tiny little silencers make little "pfft" noises when fired. Is this really what a silenced weapon sounds like? Even big ones? Anyone got a .wav or .mov or .mp3 of an actual gun with silencer being fired? How about with a big gun?

One's mind wanders during summer, doesn't it?

My gut feel says on a .22 can be silenced in an auto only maybe a .25. I do know you can not silence a revolver like you see so often in the movies. Too much gas escape at the cylinder to barrel. The bigger guns 9mm and the like need a very large canister to silence them and a low powered round. Most are not practical and illegal unless you pay the tax. I believe they come under federal statute that does not really outlaw them similar to machine guns but they carry such a high transfer sales tax that it make them untouchable legally, but then you need to get past the state laws that actually outlaw them but that is soon to be a thread here so stay tuned till the snow flies.

C5 Golfer is right that silencers (suppressor would be more accurate) only work well with autos.

You would also need a sub-sonic round to make a silenced auto work well. Part of the loud bang you hear when you fire a gun is the sonic boom from the bullet.

I use to have video files of guys shooting some 9mm submachine guns (HK MP5) with suppressors and sub-sonic ammo. The loudest noise was the sound of the slide banging back and forth, which is still noisy.

Here is one to use your smarts.

What if you took a large caliber handgun and made it out of some special material where the gun weighed what a normal bullet does – 240gr lets say – and made the bullet out of a special material that weighed as much as a normal gun – lets say 40oz. Now take a 6’ guy weighing about 200 lbs and he fires this monster holding in a normal way. What would happen??? And no I do not have a video and yes it would not be pretty!

Well, the same amount of kinetic energy in the bullet goes into the gun, no matter which is light or heavy. So the kick of a light gun from shooting a heavy bullet would be the same as catching a normal (light) bullet with a pistol-grip-shaped bulletproof vest. Having never been shot before, I can't say what that would feel like ;) But I would bet that if you deadened the shock with even something like a thin layer of styrofoam you'd be fine. The heavy bullet wouldn't really travel that far, though ;)

Well, the same amount of kinetic energy in the bullet goes into the gun, no matter which is light or heavy...

The correct law to use to figure out recoil would be conservation of momentum instead of conservation of energy, as in:

mass(bullet) x velocity(bullet) = mass(gun) x velocity(gun)

so

v(gun) = m(bullet)x(bullet)/mass(gun)

To simplify the calc, I'll assume the gun and shooter to be one solid mass.

In the normal case:

bullet = 240 gr =.034 lb

gun and shooter = 200 lb

velocity of bullet = 1000 fps

You get velocity of gun and shooter = .17 fps = .12 mph, so not much effect on the shooter.

In the other case:

bullet = 40 oz =2.5 lb

gun and shooter = 200 lb

velocity of bullet = 1000 fps

You get velocity of gun and shooter = 12.5 fps = 8.5 mph, so the shooter gets dumped on his ass with unknown injuries :AR15firin

FYI Silencers are absolutley positivley 100% illegal. No taxing or anything. They are just purely illegal. A few buddies of mine got in BIG trouble with the ATS for making silencers for their paintball markers a few years back. The ATS and FBI are INSANLEY anal about them. Its kinda like a radar Jammer, where its illegal for a private citizen to own, but officals can use.

-Justin

________

Toyota ts010 history

can be done, but you need to shroud the cylinder to be effective. Seen one made up in unknown caliber once. Easiest to silence a sub-sonic round for obvious reasons. Some LEA's have silenced rifles in .308 and other rounds, but silencing also plays hell with bullet trajectory.

Justin

A silencer, or rather, a suppressor, are in fact, legal to own. Suppressors, as well as, short-barreled rifles and automatic weapons can be had in any state which allows Class III weapons. I'm not gonna outline the whole procedure, but, say this: If you're not a criminal(with record), live in a state that allows Class III, submit your application, usually to the Sheriff, pass the background check, pay the $200.00 tax stamp, AND, can afford to buy that ****, it's yours. You, or rather your friends' mistake, was manufacturing such a device. You gotta go through the Feds for that too. Same procedure as above basically, and you can make your own suppressor or SBR. Can't make an automatic though. That goes along with the '86 ban of auto weapons.

Can of worms. I'm gonna leave it for now. And really, I love carving. That's why I'm at BOL.

And to the topic: That gun would suck. There's no way you could hold on to it if you wanted even 900 fps. The amount of powder for that size bullet would be frightening.