Note to New Members ×

Snowboard-friendly start on a race course?

Coldrider

The race director at my local mountain has agreed to consider changing the starting area on the area race hill. The start area has a short post with wand attached, which you pull off when riding a snowboard. The course is used by both skiers and boarders, but IMO favors skiers because they start with their ski poles on the other side of the wand, allowing them to pull through the wand at the start. Because boarders have only the starting posts to pull on, they can only pull to the wand--and lose time on the start to skiers. Plus, tall folks like me have to reach way down to grab the start poles in the first place.

Is there an optimal start configuration that allows both boarders and skiers to get maximum pull? Seems to me the start posts can't be too high or they would get in the way of the skiers' poles.

We will be using snowboard-friendly triangular gates this season--a big improvement IMO.

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

When I set a course, In, lieu of a true snowboard start, I use 2x4's, and try to set them around 30" high, approximately 30-36" apart. Skiers usually don't have a problem as they will have their hands closer together and further in friont of the gate. Ice the 2x4s in the day before for best results. otherwise angle them into the start such that the direction of pull drives them more into the snow, than pulling back against the snowpack, which will cause them to loosen up pretty quickly.

Congrats on this. In my league, I am the only boarder. stuck with ski gates and borrowing poles (which I drop out of the gate) for the start...

...When I set a course, In, lieu of a true snowboard start...
What, exactly, is a true snowboard start? Can it be used by both skiers and riders?

Also, when you build your own start, are you mounting the starting wand on a separate post of some sort (to give snowboard competitors the opportunity to pull through the wand?)

It would also seem that making an ultra-steep, free-fall type start would make it a bit more even between riders and skiers with poles.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

At the NASTAR Nationals in Park City in 2004 we had to use 2x4s that were no more than 12 inches off the ground. Since we were just being compared to other snowboarders, no one was at a disadvantage until the Sunday Race of Champions where we were pitted against anyone in the non-traditional skier category (physically challenged skiers, telemarkers, etc.) I mentioned the inequity and this year they provided taller 2x4s which was a vast improvement. By rocking back and forth, I can launch out of the gate fairly well. On the other hand, if the runout isn't very steep, those of us operating "sans poles" are at a distinct advantage.

The NASTAR course at Okemo elimated one pole on each course this past year so we were forced to try to launch by pulling on a single pole (the one with the wand). Certainly not the best way to effect a speedy start.

I had never considered the idea of borrowing poles and dropping them.

Our ski council ran a boardercross/skiercross at Bromley this past March and we used the boardercross starting gates. Some of the skiers opted to put their hands on the hand grips instead of the pole grips and two of them were yanked off their feet when the pole straps became entangled with the grips. :nono:

BTW, the folks who run NASTAR said that this year's nationals at Steamboat will have boarder-specific gates if we can increase participation. I know we've had this discussion before and most folks would rather spend time at the USASA finals but please give it some consideration. It is a fun event.

Pat

A more permanent structure...with horizontal handles...some even have BMX style grips.

we have BX start platform that we use for our races as well...

I can see how horizontal handles would be helpful as they would allow you to pull through the start. Even better would be telescoping handles that you could adjust to your size (XL for tall blokes like myself). Would horizontal grips get in the way of ski poles?

The BX start is the 'trap door', yes? Does anyone use these on public, NASTAR-type courses?

Thanks.

now you got to get fancy and call for the trap door...

we don't have a trap door. for BX we use a bungy across the front. our BX start is 2 sections with 2 starts each. works great for races because the starter can dig out his side and stand on the plywood platform instead of being buried in the snow all day...