Note to New Members ×

TDF pics

trailertrash

Guest Randy S.

Thanks for posting the pics. I'd love to go watch sometime. Although I suspect its like other races, you get way better views from the couch in front of the TV. I've been tuning in when I wake up and watching a bit before work, then watching the rest on Tivo at night (coverage starts at 5:30am here in CA).

I felt pretty bad for David Zabriskie. That crash must have really taken the drive out of him. Not bad to wear yellow in your first Tour though.

you can follow the tour much better from the couch. i knew that going over there. i really just wanted to see the stuff you dont see on camera. if you know french there is a p.a. at the finish that calls the race. if you dont know french its hard to figure out what happened each day. the last 2k of the tt course was pretty turny through the town, we walked it. at 11:00 am there were people marking spots on the turns for a race that wouldnt show up until 3:30ish for the slow teams and 5pm for the faster ones.

john

www.cyclingnews.com

Good for the live blow-by blow updates and commentary, especially at work.

www.roadbikereview.com

Good forum for roadies, albeit with a little roadier-than-thou attitude from some of the members (not me, of course ;) )

'Trash, any beta for watching the ITT? We're going to be in St. Etienne for the penultimate stage, too.

Velveeta, find the start list for the stage and cross off each rider as they pass, its the only way to track what the heck is going on. otherwise just walk the course, find a good turn and plant yourself there early.

Bordy, i wish. even though the trailer is not big for u.s. standards it would have been huge for over there. if i go back i would really consider renting an rv over there. the cars and roads are tiny. i saw bmw's and audi's towing trailers over there. something they wouldnt be caught dead doing here.

Since people here are following the Tour you might want to check out www.destinationcycling.com and check out the Tour De France Challange. A fellow hardbooter (Kevin Mahaney) is attempting to ride the entire route of the Tour the day before each stage. Kevin has a team to aid him along, one of his teammates won thier age catagory at USASA Nationals for Alpine (Jimmey Raily). It's cool what they are attempting to do, and I think we should give a fellow alpine snowboarder our best wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of select shots.

My wife screaming for George Hincapie on the climb to Plateau de Bonascre (Stage 14).

9g920h.jpg

Me and "Fast Freddie" Rodriguez (Mourenx - Start of stage 16)

9g92mc.jpg

Me with Levi Leipheimer (Pau - Rest Day)

9g94b6.jpg

My wife and I near the top of the climb to Courchevel (Stage 10). The road goes on another ~3k and 150m up, but the signs at the top weren't nearly as photogenic. Going uphill for 16 miles and ~5000 feet was damn hard on a tandem!!!

9g94rc.jpg

The TdF is unlike any other sporting event. If you go, bring a bike and head for the mountains and the time trials. That's where the action is and where you can get a good viewing spot. The finish in Paris is *way* overrated.

Just want to say thanks for posting those pics, nice to see the pros in a impromptu setting and taking photos with the fans. I am really surprised that you were able to get a picture with Levi, the guys from Specialized sure couldn't do what you did!! The latter is in response to a Specialized bike commercial that OLN was airing during the tour. Great commercial, BTW.

Ya gotta love Hincapie winning the most difficult stage in this year's tour, I was screamin' at the top of my lungs for George to go around Pereiro.