Note to New Members ×

Our new smartphone "app"!

Jack M

The forum is now available as a standalone smartphone "app".  I put that in quotes because it's really just a home screen bookmark, but it does look and feel quite like an app, and best of all, it allows push notifications even if you don't have your browser running.

How to get this going on your phone:

1. Manage your notifications by clicking the menu button, then the bell button, then Notification Settings. 
  2. Change the ones you want to "Notification List + Push".  Followed Content is probably one you want. 
  3. Scroll all the way down that same page and click "Enabled in this browser" under Push.
  4. To get the bookmark and have it behave like an app, you'll need to clear your browser history and data.  If you only want to remove the data for this forum, you can do that in advanced settings. 
  5. I only have an iPhone, so the following instructions are for iOS:
  6. Quit Safari completely.
  7. Open Settings, Safari, Advanced, Website Data.  Search for alpinesnowboarder.com and invisioncic.com.  Swipe left on them to delete.
  8. Open Safari and go to the home page of the forum
  9. Click the share button in Safari, then "Add to Home Screen".

It is also possible to create a home screen bookmark on Android, and to clear individual site data.

When you click your new ASB "app", it should have no browser controls.  If it does it means you didn't clear the history and data.  If you don't get push notifications, make sure "Enabled in this browser" is checked.

Enjoy!

IMG_0001.jpeg

• Like 3

Did something change site-wide or is it just me? I used to be able to browse the forums on my mobile browser (Safari or Chrome on iPhone) as easily as on the desktop. But now when viewing on iPhone I'm presented with some kind of "filtered view" where only specific topics are shown and I cannot easily navigate between forums. And in fact, while reading a topic, I have no idea which forum it's posted in.

It's almost unusable compared to what I used to get. I'm using the same bookmark as I always have to access the site. Logging out and logging back in doesn't help.  

Figured it out. It appears to be the group of buttons to the right of "Forums" highlighted in red below. Depending on which is selected the view changes. Either I managed to activate by mistake or possibly it's a new feature. 

If you end up lost in a confusing view with only select topics shown while accessing on mobile, try cycling through these buttons to get back to the usual list of forums. 

IMG_3602.jpeg.bfe542f4d5ecc7bf99270a7fe7f91136.jpeg

• Like 1

• Jack M unpinned this topic