Note to New Members ×

BTS springs rusting...

Kurt Swanson

After the paint on my BTS springs started chipping off, I stripped them completely and then polished them on a buffing wheel until they looked chrome-plated. That lasted for several seasons but now are showing rust again. Anyone else run into this issue? If so, what was your remedy? I'm considering titanium springs, but that's got to be pretty expensive...

1 hour ago, Kurt Swanson said:

After the paint on my BTS springs started chipping off, I stripped them completely and then polished them on a buffing wheel until they looked chrome-plated. That lasted for several seasons but now are showing rust again. Anyone else run into this issue? If so, what was your remedy? I'm considering titanium springs, but that's got to be pretty expensive...

That is just the nature of spring steel...it will rust if left wet.

I doubt titanium springs would be a viable answer. They wouldn't rust and they'd be a little lighter but titanium isn't nearly as stiff as steel (30% less stiff depending on the alloy) so the spring wire diameter would need to get a good bit thicker to have the same spring rate.

New springs with a fresh finish would work or you could try getting them powder coated. Eventually any finish will fail and they will rust again.

dave