Note to New Members ×

real pavement carving

Jack M

Most exotic materials are now prohibited from use in F1 engines. Beryllium bearings are the only really exotic items in them. Cranks and rods are forged steel. Carbon-composites are forbidden in pistons, heads, and blocks. The rules don't say anything about ceramics, but I don't think ceramics are used anywhere except maybe cylinder liners.

Ferrari had developed a way to cast and forge the engine block and transmission casing as one piece so that they could have a consistent crystal structure and thus be vastly stronger. Unfortunately, the rules were changed so that an engine had to last a full race weekend (and now two), so they scrapped that because it meant they couldn't fix the gearbox if it died.

Originally posted by mirror70

The rules don't say anything about ceramics

I'm pretty sure they do, I seem to recal about 10 years ago or so a couple of the factories with mega-deep pockets developed engines that were entirely ceramic. They weighed something like half that of a metal engine and made as much power if not more. Cars using them were unbeatable. They were quickly prohibited because they cost a gazillion dollars - F1 would have become a one or two factory parade.