Note to New Members ×

Canadian Softboot Carvers

StrangeFuture808

Happy New Year everyone. New to the site and clearly should have been here much sooner. 

I ride soft boots on extra wide boards around 30cm waist and aside from crackaddict in Revelstoke and some friends out in Whistler I haven't met too many carve focused riders up here in Canada. Generally I rely on instagram videos of Korean and Japanese riders (and Ryan Knapton of course) to keep me inspired but I know out there in this massive amazing country there are other low-lifers and irl inspiration to be found. I'm a life long student of the sport and love to share what I've learned with others so hit me up Canadian carvers! Throw some footage up in this thread.

I post riding footage almost daily here  https://www.instagram.com/strangefuture808/

Edited by StrangeFuture808
  • Like 2

Well, I'm a softboot carver from Canada! I'm based in Edmonton which is much too far from the mountains, but I still do all right. I started on softboot carving shortly after I learned to snowboard - I was lucky to get an instructor who really knew how to carve. After multiple bad seasons since I broke my foot in 2014, I'm back at it with a bunch of hardboot setups as well. Still not quite where I used to be, so working on that this season - I'm sure I'll get there. 

I don't have any footage to post yet, but I want to start a snowboard YouTube channel and instagram this year.

That's awesome you've carved with Ryan, it would be on my bucket list to carve with him someday.

image (2).png

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 6:32 AM, slabber said:

are you in Revy as well @StrangeFuture808?  I used to live in Lake Louise and am hoping to get back to the Rockies for a family trip this spring.  Miss the bigger hills...

Yeah kinda doing the snomad ting but Revy is as close to a home base as I have this winter. Hit me up if you end up out this way!

On 1/5/2023 at 7:46 AM, O.o said:

Well, I'm a softboot carver from Canada! I'm based in Edmonton which is much too far from the mountains, but I still do all right. I started on softboot carving shortly after I learned to snowboard - I was lucky to get an instructor who really knew how to carve. After multiple bad seasons since I broke my foot in 2014, I'm back at it with a bunch of hardboot setups as well. Still not quite where I used to be, so working on that this season - I'm sure I'll get there. 

I don't have any footage to post yet, but I want to start a snowboard YouTube channel and instagram this year.

That's awesome you've carved with Ryan, it would be on my bucket list to carve with him someday.

image (2).png

Let me know if you come out towards BC at any point. I'll be around Invermere, Kicking Horse and Lake Louise a few times this winter but mostly around Revy.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Hey @slopestar what's the max width that Alloy is making?  Do they build with titanal?  Any chance you're bring some to MCC?  I'll swap you for a run on a JJA...

Our Chronick Booster is a proprietary Nickel/Chrome smelted alloy material. This is the most reactive springy metal material on earth. It has 3x the pop of ordinary aluminum materials. This technology is EXCLUSIVE to Alloy Snowboards and cannot be found on any other board anywhere in the world! Daehan Metal provides our exclusive Chronick Booster material and is the #1 Alloy strip manufacturer in Korea.

26.2 is the widest on Darwin's Flow.  Hermes 162, DO 165 and AZX 163 is 25.8. I'm not doing MCC this year but might be able to send one or two with Iceman and Rad Air Sandy! I have a DO/Hermes/Darwin I could send if they have the room. They are coming through Aspen on the way for our AFC event. All Friends Carving. No boards were made this year. Next season production is expected to transition from Nidecker/Tunisia to Daehan Metal's new facility in S. Korea. There are some DO's still available in Korea and pricing outside of DHL shipping and Customs costs is still better than any custom and the materials are all top shelf.

Strangefuture8/ Sorry for the thread Hijack! I used to work for Craig and Kelly Jo back in the 90's digging pipe at Blackcomb all summer and 6 seasons year round at Crystal Mountain Wa. before that. Hope to ride sometime!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slopestar said:

Strangefuture8/ Sorry for the thread Hijack! I used to work for Craig and Kelly Jo back in the 90's digging pipe at Blackcomb all summer and 6 seasons year round at Crystal Mountain Wa. before that. Hope to ride sometime!

No sweat, I'm always curious about what different companies out there are doing. 
The tech seems great but those boards would need to be about 4cm wider for me to try them.
29.5cm ww seems to be my minimum width (on a small sidecut) without bootout on soft boots and for 12m radius plus I need 30.5cm ww or bigger. Damn feet are too big for my sport.

• Like 1