Note to New Members ×

Last day of the season pic's

ar(angel

Well today was the last day of our season here and I learned a few things....

First, I love going snowboarding with my kids! We had a blast today, making run after run with one another and going 'til our legs were jello, we didn't want to leave. All of them made really good progress this season, especially my son (ignore the poor arm position in the photo of him...:D ) and we all had a great time hitting the slopes together.

2nd we need to get more people involved in this sport. I had a ton of people asking me today about my set-up and my sons and alot of them showed true enthusiasm and interest in trying out alpine.

Lastly, I'm not nearly as good as I think I am. My daughter shot video of me today and after looking at it, man do I need work. I thought I was doing pretty well, but when I see my arms flailing around and my weak-ass heelsides, I'm severly dissapointed in my riding. Funny how you think your really laying 'em down only to find out you've still got a long way to go. Well, it'll be good motivation for training this summer and real fuel for the fire for more improvement next season. I'll try to post the clip here if I can, but I've never done any "movie" stuff before. Hope you all had a great season and take this word of advice, get video of yourself early in the season so you can work on those "problem areas" early on, I sure learned my lesson.

Have fun,

Paul

post-857-141842203553_thumb.jpg

This was one of my new ones I'd been dying to try out. I spent all day Saturday & Sunday on it. I was having trouble with it at first, then got into a groove about midday on Saturday. Rode it all day Sunday and had a blast, got home only to figure out I'd set it up wrong! I guess the lesson here is you can ride something wether it's set up the way you like it or not. That pic of Zach was one of the best ones we got all season, he's really making good progress...not bad for a 10 year old :)

Have fun,

Paul

I'm in Redding about 55 minutes away from Shasta. I've actually thought about making a trip to Tahoe. If I can get past a visit from the new Regional V.P. for my area I just might do that. I'd like to head back to Kirkwood, that's were I first learned to board 4 years ago. I'll keep it in mind,

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. anybody tell me how to post the short video clip I have of myself? I took it with my wifes digital camera (2mp) Thanks

Hi Paul:

Posting the video clip is just like a photo. First, get the video out of the camera (probably in .avi format?). Then upload it to a server (if it's not too huge!). Then, just use the tag in your post here to link to the video file. Then we can either link to that file and it will play automagically, or we can download and watch it.

Scott

Guest Zach Davis

Paul,

The season is really just beginning on Shasta! There is a deeeeeppp snowpack on the mountain, and it should be turning to corn in the next few weeks.

Don't confine yourself to resorts.... You live close to some of the greatest backcountry in the state.

I was up on Shasta a few weeks ago, farming epic powder in Avalanche Gulch... We didn't get to go to the summitt, because the mountain was socked in above 12,000'.

I'll be back up there a few more times this year, hopefully starting the weekend of the 23rd. I'm planning on climbing the Green Butte Ridge to Sargeant's Ridge route, and snowboarding down via the Trinity Chutes.

Zach

I've never heard of anybody doing that Zach. I've been invited to go to Lassen and do the climb up/board down thing, but never heard of anybody doing it on Shasta. I'll ask my local guru here if he's ever done it before, it sounds like fun. Do you ride an alpine rig down or softies? I'll be in San Jose the weekend your speaking of, but would be imterested in finding out more about doing this. Drop me a line the next time you head up that way, maybe we can get together,

Thanks,

Paul

p.s. Scott, any suggestions on a server? I've never done this kind of thing before so forgive my ignorance. Thanks, P

Guest Zach Davis

Paul,

Shasta is a classic ski hill... just about every line off the summit is a good descent and they've all been done thousands of times.

You're also just as close to the Trinity Alps, which tend to have less avalanche danger in the winter... most folks don't ski the higher portions of Shasta during the winter. Instead, they either stay low, in the trees, or on the ridges... or, they go over into the Trinity Alps.

If you've never done the backcountry thing, I would highly reccomend hooking up with Shasta Mountain Guides. They take people out for avalanche safety courses, and they take groups up Shasta all the time. Oddly enough, my first day ever in the backcountry was a guided trip up Shasta. We did the Cassaval Rige and descended the West Face.

I ride a Prior 172' splitbooard with the Bomber splitboard bindings and Garmont Mega Ride boots, when conditions call for skinning.... that's what I've been on all winter.

As Spring sets in, and the snowpack becomes a consistent termperature throughout, you tend to climb at night or early in the morning when the slopes are relatively frozen... timing your descent with a few hours of sun baking the snow to produce corn. Then I use a Prior 165' MFR, with a modified waist (24cm) and an insert pattern that is offset slightly farther to the rear than the production model. I have a pair of TD2s that went on a weight-loss program (Fin took out a lot of the production weight, post-production.)

I've thought about moving to a more "carving" shaped board for spring conditions and higher-altitude mountaineering, and I think I'll be doing it next year.... At around a 23cm waist, you can comfortably run a board in the 160 - 162 range.. which equals less weight. I wanted to go that way this year, but I needed to go with a shape that I am already relatively familiar with... I'm training for Denali, and I haven't had time to throw a new board shape into the mix.

If you have any questions about avi-safety gear, etc... shoot me a PM... And, definitely hook up with SMG. They're a great resource.

As far North as you are, you should be able to get turns every month of the year.

Zach

Guest Zach Davis

A quick follow up, because I just received this in an email....

This is the course that I took a number of years ago on Shasta:

News Release

For Immediate Release

April 16, 2005

Contacts: Chris & Jenny Fellows The North American Ski Training Center

Directors of NASTC PO Box 9119

530-582-4772 Tel Truckee, CA 96162

530-582-4515 Fax ski@skiNASTC.com

www.skiNASTC.com

<http://www.skinastc.com/>

NORTH AMERICAN SKI TRAINING CENTER

Multi-Day Backcountry Skills Courses: Mt. Shasta

The North American Ski Training Center is a high-performance ski school offering multi-day clinics for intermediate through expert alpine skiers taught by PSIA Demonstration Team members and AMGA ski guides. NASTC offers all-mountain free-skiing clinics at 17 resorts, backcountry skills courses for all disciplines, and guided ski mountaineering. Since 1994 NASTC has been NASTC dedicated to providing upper level skiers with the best instruction at the world‚s premier mountains.

Climb and Ski Mt. Shasta

At 14,165‚, climbing on skis and by foot up and then skiing down Mt. Shasta in 3 days is a challenging, rewarding and memorable experience. This is one of the most classic ski descents in the country! And with this seasons snow pack the conditions are sure to excellent for this not-to-be-missed Spring expedition. Day 1 & 2 you will skin up to base camp and review ice axe and crampon skills and do a couple of ski tours. Day 3 you rise early, skin and climb to the summit, enjoy the view with the group, and ski all the way down to the cars. The parking lot is at about 7,000ft. Base camp is about 10,5000, and the peak is a little over 14,000, so you have a gain/loss total of 14,000ft. Snow conditions will determine the exact route, but in the past we have done the Hidden Valley route and the popular Bunny Flat to Helen Lake route. Contact NASTC for more information. Levels 8-9 in Alpine Skiing, Telemark Skiing, or Snowboarding

Dates: June 3-5, 2004

Price: $675 (includes 3 days instruction and guiding, 2 dinners, group gear)

This course is operated under the permit of Shasta Mountain Guides, Inc

The season is short and space is limited. Call Today!

For more information or a brochure, NASTC can be reached at PO Box 9119, Truckee, CA 96162, (530) 582-4772, ski@skiNASTC.com, or visit our recently updated web site at www.skiNASTC.com <http://www.skinastc.com/> .

Wow, I had no idea this was so close to me and attainable. I'll look into it and definitely make plans for it next season if I can't pull it off this year. I really appreciate all the info, who knows maybe we'll be able to do it together some time!

Thanks!

Paul

I did the Shasta Mountain Guides 3 day climb/ride last spring. Fantastic trip. The guides made everything super easy and fun. The only thing I'll do different would be to TAKE A SPLITBOARD!

I booted up with a group of skiiers who were on AT or Tele gear. This year I bought a splitboard for the trip.

There are two different trips. The two day goes up Avalanche Gulch and the three day goes up the West Face. The crowds we saw coming up Avalanche Gulch looked crazy. However, around on the west face, there were maybe 10 other groups.

It was a great way to spend a long spring weekend. The turns are a whole lot sweeter when you sweated to earn them...

Mark