Note to New Members ×

getting off lift

Guest kriss

When I started snowboarding (on softy) I use to fall a lot getting out of chairs. Generally, applying a bit of drag on the side where I want to turn helps. Putting the foot down on the snow results either in a fall, or in a 90deg skid turn and stop (very useful sometimes). Rear foot solidly planted on the stomp pad helps a lot, especially to hold the straight line.

I find it much easier on the hard boots. More control and easier to turn to heel side than on softies. Leaning a bit back helps.

Boris

1. Always get on the far left of the chair (I'm goofy) so I can toeside off and away from everyone! :) (Even if you have to elbow someone out of the way to get that far left seat!)

2. Grab whoever is next to you and hold on to them. :D

But seriously, I find it helps if I get an early push off the chair and slide down with some speed (rather than waiting 'til the last minute, then dumping off the edge of the chair). I went this whole season without any kind of stomp pad---not by choice, more by laziness! But I found sliding my boot back until it braced against my rear binding helped too.

Also: John Phillkill (jp1) had a great solution for a stomp pad---he just covered the entire width of his board between bindings with a solid piece of rubber grip-mat. Might add an ounce or two of weight, but it gives you a "big target" to step on!

Scott

That happened to me once. I was teaching at Blue Marsh before I came to Roundtop. I was giving a lesson and had forgotten to take my keys off of my belt. My keyring was a big carabiner. Somehow it all got wedged into the chair. I was hanging by my belt a good 6 feet in the air. My student, who was a beginner, got off just fine! Maybe he should have been teaching me.

I was on the left of a beginning skiier-I was rocking the green hill, man, and the instructor asked if I wouldn't mind helping one of his student skiiers. I said "no problem". Flash forward, the lift ramp is coming. I'm telling this little girl to lean forward once we get there and she'd be fine. We get to the ramp. I'm riding away but she's not-I didn't know until her skis caught me around my neck and slammed me back into the lift(chair circles to the left).

It happened too quickly for me to tense up and get hurt, so I'm laughing and making sure the little girl is okay. Her instructor is having a hernia, tripping all over himself--"I'm sooooo sorry, ma'ma. Are you okay"....

This year I got some snowblades. I've never skiied, but I was doing okay sidestepping up the hill and turning down the fall line. Time for the lift. I got nervous near the ramp-afterall, I've never gone down a lift ramp facing forward. Yes, I wiped out!!!!