Note to New Members ×

Off-season board prep

Guest sierra

Guest sierra

Does anyone have any info regarding preparing their boards for the off season? I've heard someone say that they put a thick layer of wax on the base and don't scrape it until next season. Also, all of my and my family's boards are mounted on a wall in the garage (my wife calls it "the shrine") and it urks me to see rust developing on the edges during the summer. Is there any way to prevent this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am hoping to get in another 3-4 weeks of riding but the rain here in New England is not helping.

yes, wax the board and wax the edges = no rust.

I used to put a thin layer of 3in1 oil on em. that certainly works as well, but i was never sure if the oil might be bad for the base if it happend to get on there.

you could always tape em, too, and then cover the shrine:)

Parafin (sp?) wax, like mom melts to cover the home-made jam, get it in the supermarket or maybe hardware store. Super cheap so you dont have to pay big $$$ to cover boards with wax just for protection. Glop it on and iron it out but don't scrape it, like you said, do that next fall. Try to get plenty on the base edges, and rub some on the side edges after you are done. I keep my boards indoors in board bags (so much for saving big $$$, right?) but make sure they are BONE DRY before you lay 'em to bed. The tape thing can be tricky - DON'T use duct tape, packing tape or regular masking tape - esp. if the boards will get hot where they are stored...painter's easy release masking tape is the best, but if you wax-protect well it won't stick so no need. Also give your edges a good once-over with a stone to remove tiny rust spots that tend to form when you've been riding in wet spring conditions and maybe left the board in the back of the truck an extra day.

Guest Randy S.

I just use cheap bulk wax and don't scrape. Running the block of wax along the edges will keep them from rusting. That trick works great if yoiu are putting your board on the roof and driving to/from the hill also. I used to do it all the time with my skis when I couldn't fit them in the car. I'd keep a crappy old piece of wax in my ski bag and just run it down the edges before putting them on the roof. Now I never put my boards in a roof rack (they invented roof boxes for a reason), but I do wax the edges for the summer and the base too.

....and as wavechaser said, use the right tape so it will release without issues.

I don't tape over the edges, but what I do with the tape is go along the sidewall with the tape, up to where the sidewall material meets the metal edge. This way, when you melt all the wax on, any overage will go on the tape, not the actual sidewall, making it easier to take the wax off of the sidewall as it is on the tape.

I've pondered using 3 in 1 or similar product as D-Sub suggested, but I'm also not sure if it will harm the base material long term. I suppose if you were patient enough to apply a thin coat of oil with a Q-tip it may be ok, rater than squirt or spray it on.

Make sure the base is clean and DRY and free of any salt residue from any of those road trips up and down I-93, I-95, and I-89. Oil/petroleum resists water, so maybe a quick trip to the local ski shop for base cleaner will help get any crud and excess moisture off of the edges as well.

One thing people think I am a little over the top about is storing the board in a controlled environment, I.E; not in the basement, attic, or garage, where temperature and humidity extremes happen in the summer. I dunno if you are near the NH seacoast or not, but I live next to the ocean and I have no garage to worry about, and storing them in the attic or basement is definitely a no-no. Mine go under the bed or in the closet. I don't store the boards in a travel bag short OR long term because any moisture in the bag will be trapped and has no where to escape to, which will accelerate any corrosion issues.

Guest skidoc

Hey guy's,

Check out www.precisiontuningcenter.com for all the details on refinishing your board(s), without all that pre-season stress.

I've tried to create the best value possible, as the euro dollar continues to increase my machine operating expenses.

Please PM me if you have any questions that specifically relate to your own equipment.

Skidoc

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by skidoc

Hey guy's,

Check out www.precisiontuningcenter for all the details on refinishing your board(s), without all that pre-season stress.

Skidoc

Linky no worky. Try adding ".com"

Sounds like a pretty cool service. Boards returned with choice of scraped or storage wax, I presume? Or do you offer free summer storage and you return the boards the week before the first snow?

Here's a fixed link for those of you too lazy to type.

Guest skidoc
Originally posted by Randy S.

Linky no worky. Try adding ".com"

Sounds like a pretty cool service. Boards returned with choice of scraped or storage wax, I presume? Or do you offer free summer storage and you return the boards the week before the first snow?

Here's a fixed link for those of you too lazy to type.

Thanks Randy, I fixed the link. My 1 yr. old was hanging on me at the time.

Yes.

Boards may be stored and then shipped in the pre-season.

They may be shipped with or without Dominator graphite Base Renew.

I usually prefer to ship boards in a "ready to go" state. It sets the bar for what the board should look like after one waxes and scrapes their board.

I'm very flexible.

skidoc

Guest skidoc
Originally posted by tpalka

I've told by a few different people to use a graphite wax -- specifically for summer storage. Is that so, and what are the advantages of using it?

tom.

Tom,

Graphite bases actually are the combination of soot particle and polyethylene. Bases become grey after the friction from the snow crystal removes this ingredient from the base surface. This condition is only remedied with proper stone grinding. Hot waxing does not replace missing graphite. It only serves to replenish what's actually still in the base, and maintain the anti-static properties of graphite to aid in reduced friction.

The key is to use soft graphite waxes during the season after your board has a fresh base finish. The occasional use of waxes such as Dominator Base Renew, will go a long way in slowing down the onset of abrasion.

It's all about prevention.

skidoc

Originally posted by hangten247

I've pondered using 3 in 1 or similar product as D-Sub suggested, but I'm also not sure if it will harm the base material long term. I suppose if you were patient enough to apply a thin coat of oil with a Q-tip it may be ok, rater than squirt or spray it on.

oh..yeah...Ive never sprayed it..just used my fingers to try and get the edges only.

still not sure about oil vs ptex tho, so...

seriously...just slap a thick layer of parrafin wax on it, rub some on the edges all around, and you should be fine

right skidoc?

Guest sierra

As usual - much great advice from the folks on this board. I may have to relocate "the shrine", as the garage is definitely not a controlled environment.

Now I have to figure out how to scam my wife into

"re-decorating" the living room. :eek:

Originally posted by hangten247

....One thing people think I am a little over the top about is storing the board in a controlled environment, I.E; not in the basement, attic, or garage, where temperature and humidity extremes happen in the summer. I dunno if you are near the NH seacoast or not, but I live next to the ocean and I have no garage to worry about, and storing them in the attic or basement is definitely a no-no. Mine go under the bed or in the closet. I don't store the boards in a travel bag short OR long term because any moisture in the bag will be trapped and has no where to escape to, which will accelerate any corrosion issues.

Chris,

Wow, someone else who keep boards under the bed in summer. Only problem I ran into doing that on MV was MOLD...which is fast...I think?!?!

These Bomber forums are worth their weight in gold fo the info-tips-gear-(self-promotion?) we alpine fringe get here...thanks again Fin!

Originally posted by wavechaser

Parafin (sp?) wax, like mom melts to cover the home-made jam, get it in the supermarket or maybe hardware store. Super cheap so you dont have to pay big $$$ to cover boards with wax just for protection. Glop it on and iron it out but don't scrape it, like you said, do that next fall. Try to get plenty on the base edges, and rub some on the side edges after you are done. I keep my boards indoors in board bags (so much for saving big $$$, right?) but make sure they are BONE DRY before you lay 'em to bed. The tape thing can be tricky - DON'T use duct tape, packing tape or regular masking tape - esp. if the boards will get hot where they are stored...painter's easy release masking tape is the best, but if you wax-protect well it won't stick so no need. Also give your edges a good once-over with a stone to remove tiny rust spots that tend to form when you've been riding in wet spring conditions and maybe left the board in the back of the truck an extra day.

eh wavechasa, pissa suit guy! manchvegas mike and his buddy from loon wear one of those things all the time. chicks dig em.

Yup, pissah...thanks jd...ya like that...got it from some woodchuck hillbilly down south part of the state...did'n know what he had. I'll sell it to ya if ya wanna attract the chicks like me an vegas and the loonie do. It's only been used once...for one turn...been garaged evah since in a humidity controlled envirnmint...yours for 500 euro.