Note to New Members ×

That out-of-shape feeling...

SWriverstone

So yesterday, I threw my C-1 on the truck for the first time in months (the river was UP!). Then I headed to Leesburg, VA to buy a pair of inline skates at Pro-Fit.

Flash forward an hour---I've got my new skates on and head off down the Washington & Old Dominion Trail. About a half-mile later, I'm thinking "Man...I'm really feeling this in my ankles! Talk about unused muscles..." I quit after another 20 minutes, not wanting to stress out my ankles.

Flash forward another hour, and I'm at the put-in for the Shenandoah River (under the bridge in Harpers Ferry). The river is a nice, cushy level---strong current, lots of good waves and holes everywhere. I gear up and put in...and fight the current...and struggle in the current...and fight the current...and huff and puff over to shore, feeling whipped after about 15 minutes of paddling! High water is no place to be if you aren't feeling pumped. I bailed...

Talk about that "out-of-shape" feeling! :( Damn carving! Kept me from doing anything else for three months! :)

Well, I've got my work cut out for me...

Scott

I bet your leg press is pretty good at the moment!

Sports specific is funny ... I can lift thousands of pounds in a gym workout and it won't worry me, just don't make me run anywhere.

I want to take my rollerblades out this weekend ... looking forward to it, but I know my hamstrings and butt will be paying for a coupla days!

Originally posted by Allee

I bet your leg press is pretty good at the moment!

Sports specific is funny ... I can lift thousands of pounds in a gym workout and it won't worry me, just don't make me run anywhere.

I want to take my rollerblades out this weekend ... looking forward to it, but I know my hamstrings and butt will be paying for a coupla days!

Yea, I totally know what you mean about sport specifics strength. Now a days I try to keep a balanced sport routine. I snowboard on the weekend, do yoga on mondays, ice hockey on tuesdays, light jogging/cardio on wednesday, and rock climbing or powerlift on thursdays and rest on Fridays. When snowboarding ends, I'll supplement it with longboard skateboard and more weight lifting - and I might add on another hockey game.

The revelation for me this last year, was the effect of strength training and diet. I had always assumed that as I did a lot of sports, I must be fit. But over the last several years, since hitting forty, I have felt in decline. especially my anaerobic capacity. As a paddler, you'll notice that when you start missing your rolls. In the summer, I inline skate 5 x half hour a week, and paddle every other w/e, but I was getting weaker.

Then last summer I folowed a link on a post on off season training. It was hindu squats I believe and the link was http://www.cbass.com/index.html . That and seeing what that personal trainer could do for people on extreme make over. I changed my diet to low fat, mid protein. High complex carb, eat several times a day and started weight training at home 40 mins twice a week. Holy Molly, what a difference a few months can make. I taught a few kayak skills sessions in the pool this winter ( heavy on continuous lengths doing different drills) and felt ten years younger. Boarding has been more controlled and the falls are much easier on the body with more muscle holding things together.

Down side is having to buy new pants in smaller sizes and shirts getting tighter around the chest.

Seriousely, all I've been reading sugest that anyone over forty needs strength traing to maintain muscle mass and that aerobic exercise won't do it.

BobD

very interesting; I remember this guy as a motivational reading when I was always trying to lose weight back in my boxing days....

The most interesting thing is that he is saying the high protein low carb approach is NOT the way to go; normally this is pretty much what body builders and Atkins type people seem to go for; low carbs low carbs low carbs and lots of protein.

http://www.cbass.com/HighProtein.htm

I always suspected that I did triathalons better after carb loading for days b4; I guess I can throw away that Atkins book now :-)

I've seen/read a lot of fitness-gurus over the years, but I like the way Clarence Bass writes (or what he says).

I completely agree with his whole "foraging and hunting" metaphor, and the fact that our bodies are not evolved for the (sitting) lifestyles so much of us lead today (that is, when we're at work). Sort of obvious I guess, but all true!

Scott