Note to New Members ×

Burton timeline pics

BlueB

The Safari was a great board. I had the compII with the Darth Vader 3 strap bindings. That was the last board I road with soft boots. Jack is right the PJ6 is from '91. I have the PJ7 from that year that's in very good shape if anyone is interested. Be nice to those of us in Wisconsin. Yes we don't have the mountains that you very lucky men and women have but some of us can still keep up with you big mountain bad arses. Not a lot of well known racers from Wisconsin but Joe Curtis was a jibber from Menomonee Falls (just outside of Milwaukee) and he road successfully for Burton for a number of years in the 90's and I believe was riding a lot more in the back country.

If any of you can find me a decent paying job near a big mountain, I'd be happy to move my wife and kids.

Be thankful for where you live and help those of us that aren't so lucky to live there too. :biggthump

Its very hard to pin piont years in the early Burton line unless there is a date..

As Bryan well knows.

It was just easy to make boards with what evey was lying around according to the Old Burton crew.. They used any thing around the shop when they built so you may see shapes with the"wrong" graphic or proto shapes with the year before graphic etc.. In the Mid 80's it was common to make 100 boards with one graphic and 20 with another then a 100 with some thing else. The 86 elite 150 was a great example. there are Blue and yellow and pink version of the same stick all with slightly different graphics and shapes.

I have seen expresses with proformer graphics these are my favorite burton history pieces..

PS Jack I think its worse the PJ is Goofy foot then Miss labeled!!!!!!.....

ha ha!

"The Safari was a great board. I had the compII with the Darth Vader 3 strap bindings. That was the last board I road with soft boots."

I had the same exact board and bought it in Madison. In 1991 I put the burton 5-hole plate bindings on it and rode with rachlie flexions . I was still riding it when I moved to Oregon in 1993. I think thats why "Mr Oldsnowboards" noticed me up at MHM , he couldn't resist the zebra strips.

Wisconsin has lots of mountains.... Bruce Mound, Mt Lacrosse, Rib Mountain (now Granite Peak), Powderhorn Mountain, Indianhead Mountain, ect. Its all in the eye of the beholder....

Jim

jdgang - We will get a "Slopestyle" up. There are a couple models/ versions and some do not photograph well. The cool black on black graphics?

Gordy , so true!! So True! Nothing is cut in stone. Protos, off seasons, one-offs, out the back boards, many reasons that years are muddled. I try to get as close as most the information leads me to believe. As time goes by it will get even harder to nail the year exactly. One of the reasons it is so cool to talk to the "Makers". Chuck was very helpfull. Scott Starr also, they looked at one of my early Barfoot boards and imediately could tell me who, what , when , where and why. It was "most excellent". Chuch pointed out that the board I had handed him was odd and he could pin point production because it had and extra binding hole in the middle of the pattern! Too cool.

Jack. Yep, the way it is. That photo is from an early gallery that I have not had time to re take. They will continue to be watermarked, for numerous reasons that continue to prove worthy. Have you noticed your entire alpine history article complete with my photos has been "Cut and Pasted" else where? Once out there ! The newer watermarking is getting less obtrusive.

Jim- Dude!! I am so glad you still have some of your early boards! Don't let go. We might need to wax them up and go for an "Oldsnowboard" ride!!!

I am often asked two questions," What is the first snowboard and what is the birthplace of snowboarding? Or Who was the first snowboarder?

Interestingly enough "Firsts" are very VERY tricky to claim.

However I would tend to say the Mid West is the likely birthplace of snowboards early relatives. The progression of standing up on sleds is most likely to evolve at low angle and lots of area with snow on the ground.

Thanks everyone.

JD. I will get started on the Slopestyle soon> Bryan

One of my early favs. Since they made bigger sizes

PS, I am always happy to take "Requests" and now that the gallery

is much more flexible , I can post them fairly easy. Bring them on!

Bryan, I'm sorry man, but those watermarks absolutely ruin your whole site. I know, ebay scams, but I don't think it's worth it.

I would also have to agree..... Many of the photo's on your site are very tough to see with all the letters covering the details of the boards... FWIW

The newer photo's I've noticed are not as bad. Don't take this as a negative, just trying to give input from a visitors point of view.

post-2027-141842205475_thumb.jpg

jdgang - We will get a "Slopestyle" up. There are a couple models/ versions and some do not photograph well. The cool black on black graphics?

JD. I will get started on the Slopestyle soon> Bryan

One of my early favs. Since they made bigger sizes

If you need any pictures of it or a ouija board I can take a few.

Hyac. If you would like to work as an archivist your efforts would be welcome! I can take hours upon hours to confirm just one board some times.

With trying to keep up my own website as well as the lost ski area history sites for WA and OR (which I don't seem to find enough time for) I doubt I'd be able to do it....but it would be fun.

Jack. Yep, the way it is. That photo is from an early gallery that I have not had time to re take. They will continue to be watermarked, for numerous reasons that continue to prove worthy. Have you noticed your entire alpine history article complete with my photos has been "Cut and Pasted" else where? Once out there ! The newer watermarking is getting less obtrusive.

I haven't seen that article ripped anywhere, and apparantly Google hasn't either (yet). Got a link? I can't say I really care though.

Sweet shot Willy rember when any one else with a board on was your Bro just because...

Waves and right ons from the lift from any other boarder....

One old school east coaster to the other...

mmmmm swallow tails.

Is it winter yet????

Oldschoolers, you might get a kick out of the largest gallery posted yet.

Nearly 250 photos of the Legends race this past season. See if you can

make out Chuck Barfoot, Tom Sims, Jeff Grell , Mike Jacoby, and MANY MANY more. Might want to grab a brew, slip on your Sorrel "Cariboos" and hit "Slideshow".

Sweet shot Willy rember when any one else with a board on was your Bro just because...

Waves and right ons from the lift from any other boarder....

One old school east coaster to the other...

mmmmm swallow tails.

Is it winter yet????

I do remember having to get "certified" to get on the chairlift and show 'em your "dog tags". that was the Burton Cruzer 165 days

post-123-141842205514_thumb.jpg