Note to New Members ×

SL board suggestions?

Mike T

I'm looking for suggestions for an inexpensive SL board. I'm 195 pounds, and would like a short, tight-turning stick for a few reasons:

1) Challenge my balance

2) Force myself to make turns closer together

3) Have a carving board to ride between rocks when the snow we're getting this week melts away

No asyms please ;)

Please suggest some good models to look for, and if you have something for sale by all means offer it up. Yeah, I know, Madd 158s, Donek SL boards, and Coiler SL boards are great - but I would like something cheaper than that and something I won't mind taking out on thin cover. My boots are size 25 MP, 19.5 is probably about as wide as I want to go on the waist. Doesn't need to be race-worthy by any means.

I'd recommend getting a Oxygen Proton 160 SL. I've met a couple of riders that totally ripped on that board. It's the longest SL board in the Oxygen line up.

I've got a Proton 156 SL that I really like. Easy to turn and holds a good edge. Stiff enough that I don't worry about folding the nose.

However, the only Proton that seems readily available on Ebay and on BOL is the 149, which would be too small for you.

Be warned, a good slalom board is a lot more tiring than a GS or Freecarve board.

I'd agree about the Oxygen Proton. I got one from eBay (147) for $66.50 + $28 shipping. I'd agree that the 147 is probably too small for what you want, but it worked for me! (5'2" about 135 lbs) The only problem was the day I had to really test it out, there ended up being almost 2 feet of powder!!!! Oh well.... leave it to me to complain about powder..... hahahaaa