Note to New Members ×

where do you set the binding angle from?

DiveBomber

But 90 deg angles should put the bindings parallel with the length of the board (like a ski binding). 0 Deg should be perpendicular.

Perhaps you can visualize what I'm saying better with a softboot setup which behaves the same: Most folks ride ~10 Deg or so in the front and 0 Deg in the back...

JPW

Originally posted by DiveBomber

is inline with the board 0, and perpendicular 90?

i saw some one listed their angles at 50 and some others at 65, but im looking at the x bones i just got and 65-50 would be pretty slack, and my heels/toes would drag (size 30)

You must be new to carving. I recommend you take the time to visit with the folks at All Boards Sports in Boulder. I am sure they will help you with your setup and dial you in. It will be time well spent, give them a call and set up an appointment.

Originally posted by DiveBomber

wel then i think it depends on how you install the base plate, i put it on with the slots perpendicular to the board

The slots are meant to be parallel to the board to give you some extra stance width adjustment. You can adjust the positioning of your foot with respect to the width of the board by moving the toe/heel blocks towards either edge.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

The slots are meant to be parallel to the board to give you some extra stance width adjustment. You can adjust the positioning of your foot with respect to the width of the board by moving the toe/heel blocks towards either edge.

The slots are supposed to go across to allow you to shift the boot across the board. This is a very important adjustment with big feet, because it enables you to shift the lifted parts (toe in front, heel in back) out towards the edges so you can run less angle w/o worrying about drag.

The problem with biasing the way you said is that, unless you're riding at 0-0, it also changes the stance width. While that is another valid way of biasing, if you're going to niggle about having fine control over stance width, you cannot ignore the fact that you do in fact change the width when you bias that way.

Originally posted by mirror70

The slots are supposed to go across to allow you to shift the boot across the board.

It really doesn't matter, you can use them whichever way you want. My point was that the standard terminology is that 90 degrees is inline with the board.

Most bindings have the degree markings such that the slots end up parallel with the board. If you turn the disc so the slots are perpendicular to the board, the degree markings are no longer telling you your true stance angle.

Burton used to make the front disc with slots parallel to the board and the rear disc with slots perpendicular to the board, but with degree markings on each that had 90 pointing at the nose.

On a board with the basic "loose grouping" of inserts (every 4cm), the adjustment range is very "coarse" (few choices of binding placement). Chances are good that you'll have to use the slots to achieve a stance width you like - by using them parallel with the board.

Bias affects stance width a little, but I don't think you should have to bias your bindings so much that it wrecks your stance width.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

It really doesn't matter, you can use them whichever way you want. My point was that the standard terminology is that 90 degrees is inline with the board.

Most bindings have the degree markings such that the slots end up parallel with the board. If you turn the disc so the slots are perpendicular to the board, the degree markings are no longer telling you your true stance angle.

Burton used to make the front disc with slots parallel to the board and the rear disc with slots perpendicular to the board, but with degree markings on each that had 90 pointing at the nose.

On a board with the basic "loose grouping" of inserts (every 4cm), the adjustment range is very "coarse" (few choices of binding placement). Chances are good that you'll have to use the slots to achieve a stance width you like - by using them parallel with the board.

Bias affects stance width a little, but I don't think you should have to bias your bindings so much that it wrecks your stance width.

Jack;

You are 100% correct. As for the X-Bones there is no need for the alignment holes to be perpendicular. Boot adjustment should be centered on the center screw by carefully placing the toe and heel blocks. The binding height and leverage also makes heel and toe drag moot. Actually, the wide heel base of the x-bone may pose some heel drag problem on narrow boards and at shallow angles.

As for the three hole crap, I think the x-bone has a special disk that is aligned parallel with the board just as Jack has described.