Note to New Members ×

Did I break something?

SWriverstone

I caught a downhill edge 3 days ago at Okemo and did a pretty massive butt-slam at fairly good speed---it definitely hurt, but I kept going, nothing seemed broken.

Now, after 3 days of taking ibuprofen, I'm still pretty sore---right around the top of my butt/base of my back. Not standing or walking, but if I bend over (stretching muscles at the base of my back) or roll back from a sitting position, there is a fair amount of pain.

I'm starting to wonder, did I break something? I don't have any visible bruises or other marks, but this pain is persistent. Someone said if I'd broken my coccyx, I wouldn't be able to sit---so I guess that's not the problem.

Anyone else have any "broken butt" experiences?

Scott

PS - Yeah, I know---this is pretty wimpy compared to some of the epic injuries some of you have sustained! :)

my professional medical opinion is that you have only broken your pride, and should nurse it back with cold beer or scotch...perhaps buorbon

GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!

we are people to trust when discussing The perfect carve. but I don't think any of are medical professionals...

If it's any consolation, I am a doc and I can give you my certificate number for the Amer. Board of Int. Medicine if you'd like. My assessment is not a broken bone but muscular strain. Worse case scenario is an acutely herniated lumbar disc-L5-S1 from the location. If you are not having radicular pain-down one or both legs-or urinary incontinence, the pain will go away on it's own. I would advise seeing your own MD, though

I had a similar fall about 5 weeks ago. I didn't notice a very small snowboarder sitting in the shade at the side of a run. I was in a laid out carve and just about to transit from toe side to heel side when there he was. I stood up and caught an edge just before I would have made contact. I did a flip over him and landed flat on my back with most of the impact across the top of my hips. It's only been the last few mornings that I haven't felt any of the lingering effects of it.

Originally posted by skatha

If it's any consolation, I am a doc and I can give you my certificate number for the Amer. Board of Int. Medicine if you'd like. My assessment is not a broken bone but muscular strain. Worse case scenario is an acutely herniated lumbar disc-L5-S1 from the location. If you are not having radicular pain-down one or both legs-or urinary incontinence, the pain will go away on it's own. I would advise seeing your own MD, though

Thanks for the advice! No, there is no radicular pain (legs or elsewhere)...just a persistent dull ache that's absent when I stand/walk and present when I sit or lie on my back (putting pressure on the area)---so it's likely muscular strain. I'll give it a few more days and hopefully it will go away on its own.

Scott

Ah, the CHEEK SPREADER -- good name for it!

I had one of those last year, and after I slid and finally came to a stop I just curled up on my knees for a few minutes, not sure if I just sh*t my bibs or what... Hot searing pain everywhere. Ouch! Thankfully that was my only time so far!

tom.