Note to New Members ×

carving in Tahoe ??

sleevez

hey guys, I'm on a bussiness trip over at San fran for 2 wks, and planing to hit tahoe over the wkend, and already shipped my gears over!!

just wondering which hill to hit and try to hook up with some local hard booters.

suggestions ?

thanks

You picked a good year for snow around here. Mt. Rose, Kirkwood, and Squaw Valley have the highest concentration of carvers.

Post your dates on tahoecarvers.com for dates and times of local riders. I'd be there but am out for the season with a broken clavicle. Corduroy has been soft and deep lately.

Alberto from Boston was killin it at Kirkwood last week.

Road Kirkwood yesterday. Blue bird with soft groomed. A foot fell day before "SWEET" , best powder day I have had all season.

Chair number two had the firmest hard pack. Only saw one other hard booter all day , didn't catch up to him. Orange boots.

Saw one other the day before in the line up. Riding a Rosi FC 170ish with Burton Race plates and Rosi ski boots. On a 12inch day no less!!!. No lines, friendly folks. Great Burgers and "Bubs" . Say "Hi" to Sully!!!

Should be good most anywhere in the Tahoe area.

On the road in Mammoth Lakes. Bryan

Just couldn't stop carving after SES 05!!!

Kirkwood and chair number 2 is the best (at least for me). I am there almost every weekend. Like Jim said, visit tahoecarvers.com and while there, try radio carver(frequency 5,12).

Jim, do we have a new frequency? I already switched to higher one...:D Guess that's why I don't hear you guys any more while up there....

Guest rick ferguson

I'll be there next week, mon/tues/wed or wed/thurs. not sure yet. Kirkwood has a deal now for $39 tix's mid-week. If you hook up with a pass holder on a weekend I believe they can buy you a tic for about the same price. Kirkwood I think has the most carvers on a regular basis. Many times this year there have been over 8-10 They also improved their upper mtn., high angle (black and dbl. black) grooming by mounting anchor points for the groomer's to winch down,new this year. Like kamaran said, try radio freq. 5/12 to locate most tahoe carvers.:)

Guest rick ferguson

Yeah, don't stay on the groomed runs, what kinda advice is that on a carving forum? What ever powder f*g! If this was a freeride site or you would post your location. What a kook!!

Hey Rick, I believe the recommendations from "smilenj" fit your signature. Thought you'd jump at the chance to ride the "steep and deep." Sounds like Tahoe has amazing snow conditions right now - enjoy!

Oh, yeah, carvers that can't ride the pow are kooks!

Guest rick ferguson

Just play'n with a newname. Pow is just fine as I'm a surfer. Just did'nt now where the poster was going with it. I do like the steep and deep and plan on exploring most of the upper mtn. on monday. Hopefully hugh can grap some photo's on olympic and sentienal. :)

Guest rick ferguson

Hope veryone finish's off the season without injury, so many here in the tahoe arena have been taken out. wish the best to all those that have fallen and safe carving to those that will carry on till the end a season.:)

Yeah, I knew you had to be either drunk or messin' with the guy, because a surfer that doesn't enjoy pow just doesn't equate!

I came from a surfing background growing up in San Diego - rarely rode anything under 9'0". Only get in the water every once in a while though when I visit the folks- livin' land-locked :rolleyes:

Guest rick ferguson

If you ever make it back to the coast, I shape longboards and have been doing it for over 13 years in santa cruz. Alway's offering the carver discount on custom orders.:)

Thanks for the offer! Do you have a website or something where I can see your shapes?

I have a board there that I usually ride when I visit the folks in Carlsbad - 9'6" Hank Byzak shape- fun board! My pop has a pretty good size quiver, so there's always something to ride when I go down there. He even let me ride his 9'3" Hap Jacobs once (ONCE!):D

Guest smilenj
Originally posted by rick ferguson

Yeah, don't stay on the groomed runs, what kinda advice is that on a carving forum? What ever powder f*g! If this was a freeride site or you would post your location. What a kook!!

Hi Fergie - Nice to me you and sorry for hitting such a sensitive spot for you. Maybe you are feeling a little inadequate and scared of the big ol' mountian that lies beyong the cordoroy. And since you are just now looking to "explore" Olympic and Sentinal I can understand that you wouldn't appreciate how stellar the advice is to ride the areas I mentioned.

Good luck and please be safe. And of course, if the "steep and deep" gets a little scarey, stay on the groomed runs - that only means more freshies for the rest of us who have the intestinal fortitude to ride race/carving boards all over the mountain.

JC

sweeeeeeeet,, im all pump up for it, althought i only manage to stay for a day (sat) hopefully i could find a few sweet runs, can't wait

thanks guys, just wanted to know if there are any snow left, cuz it's crazy warm down here at san fran, anyways im heading over to the train station and hooking up with a buddy and driving up tomorrow morning, hopefully we could make the first lift.

and hopefully i will run into a few of ya's ...

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

wat a place,,, i was at Kirkwood on sat,,, damn ... had a few good runs, nice nad open,, sat was a great day,,,, even got a sun burn !!! WOW!!,, i gota hit that again,,

i'll be hitting vermont in 2 wks,.. smuggs!! any1 gonna be there ??