Note to New Members ×

Madd is Much Better than Burton.

John Gilmour

Guest jeremiah

I loved the Woody Creek Tavern when I passed through there several years ago. There is a lot to be said for real, old-school, redneck bars in snooty areas. I wish I was the guy who called the Tavern and gave them my credit card to buy a round in HST's memory, but if anyone wants to head out there and have a beer, you can feel good knowing that I would like to be paying for your beer. :)

Anyway, it's time to break out all my old HST books and strong whiskey this weekend.

Jeremiah

Pat, what's really weird is, I was walking around Brasil on Monday wearing all black. Black surf trunks, black kitesurfing t shirt and a black baseball hat with US Ski Team on the front and I can remember thinking: it's blazing hot and wicked sunny today, why am I wearing All Black? I didn't hear the grim news until yesterday in an email from a buddy. Hunter S. was truly an original. http://gonzo.org/

HST was indeed the inspiration for the thread. I was talking to a friend of mine, Eric Lustgarden about HST the day before he died. Eric is his replacement.

One of the best memories of Hunter was him trying to set a matt of firecrackers off on Letterman's desk. Dave got really nervous.

HST was the original. Tom Green was inspired by him.

________

Suzuki b-king

Guest giorgio32123
Originally posted by MozzMann

If you have a problem with MADD then take it up with them and not post potentialy defamatroy comments as above .

Wether they are in jest or not I don't think most member's on this forum appreciate such negativity.

Maurie

Dumb attitude, Maurie. Very dumb.

If you only knew what forum is for...

Giorgio has spent many years with Bomber forum... some may even know Giorgio:)

And to show what should be ultimately done with negative comments- in jest or not- To make a point

I'm going to delete my bad comments in a few days. I hope others will do similar ANY thread. I hope the uglyness of this thread shows how bad some posts can look.

Alpine carving doesn't need the negativity to get going-

Alpine's related summer sport, slalom skateboarding, has gone further with positive input from its members.

We've seen so much contribution by slalom skateboardings members who pull together to throw events- even with vanishingly slim corporate sponsorship.

________

Marijuana hemp

Funny thing was I changed the thread name in the first post- but it didn't change.

C'est la vie.

Almost got a J-O-B today... thank goodness they didn't offer me enough money.

Hunter S. Thompson-

rest in peace (or not);)

I still remember the Great Shark Hunt- all those refugees (being constantly ferried over- as it became an overflowing den of drunken thieves- facilitated by pure american greed) ,

a fantastic piece

- and a statement for our time.

I do remember a time not so long ago when credit cards were not accepted anywhere and renting cars and traveling were difficult without arranging for wire transfers in advance or traveling with large sums of cash. Youhad to have some people cosign for you and have a network of people based upon trust and mutual respect..HST said NOW all he needed was his AMEX card and he could rent a convertible and cause absolute hell in Palm Beach for as long as he wanted. He thought PLASTIC was "the instrument of the Devil" and would lead to all sorts of societal problems....that was 1980...

HST was way ahead of his time.

Unfortunately he was also a good shot.

________

O405

Originally posted by mirror70

John,

I have seen 12 Madds with my own eyes. 1 is a prototype of the alpine decks, and 1 is a freeride board, so I won't count those.

Of the 10 production Madds, 100% of them are b?rked in some way. Edges have pulled out, bases have delamed, the cf topsheet has delamed, and inserts have broken free and just started spinning. This is not a very good record.

There was also the issue of the messed up graphics. Accidents do happen, so it's fine by me if a couple of topsheets are b?rked during production (although, this doesn't seem to happen to Donek, Coiler, Prior, Burton, F2, Volkl.....). The problem came from the cult-like response to people posting here about the shoddy customer service they got, and how they were pissed that they weren't told about the screw-up until they opened the box. "You need to work this out with Madd before you let anyone know something bad happened." If we followed that logic, nobody here would be complaining about Burton Race Plates, right? A call to Burton is all it takes to get those broken bails fixed.

Have I knocked any of the technical aspects of the boards? No. Have I knocked how they ride? No - they ride great, but they are not God's own alpine board. Have I knocked the graphics? No - I actually think it's awesome. The price? Nope - it's essentially in line with the competition.

Now, John, before anybody thinks you're just another satisfied customer who feels the Madds are the most bestest things evAr, why don't you tell us all what your relationship to these boards is.

lol.

I'm try to start a trend- removing negative comments a short while after they are aknowledged and resolved.

BTW I ordered a reverse graphic board for myself.

Mr. Mirror 70 I hope you might try to keep your posts positive as the tone of my post was to spoof the tone of several negative posters on this board so they can see how completely tasteless it looks.

If you people wish to say something negative- I also would suggest that they post their full name (not just a screen name) and contact info. Otherwise it's like talking ill of someone from behind a curtain.

________

Dodge monaco history

• 1 month later...

From Aspen Daily News

In honor of the late Hunter S. Thompson's affection for beer, a Colorado brewery is launching a potent new concoction called Gonzo Imperial Porter.

Denver-based Flying Dog Brewery rolled out the tribute beer at the Boulder Theater on Friday night, where Mountain Gazette co-publisher and former Aspen Daily News editor Curtis Robinson led a question-and-answer discussion as part of a special event to honor and celebrate the legendary author from Woody Creek. Boulder Theater also had a screening of 1998's "Fear and Loathing at Las Vegas."

Gonzo Imperial Porter is 9 percent alcohol by volume and includes a label designed by Ralph Steadman, the illustrator for much of Thompson's work. For years, Steadman has done most of the artwork for Flying Dog, which was founded in Woody Creek by local resident and Thompson friend George Stranahan.

The new beer's label includes a skeletal portrait of Thompson with a bubble over his head saying, "OK, let's party!" The label is also scheduled to reprint the famous Thompson quote, "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."

Eric Warner of Flying Dog said he wasn't sure regulators would approve the label. "It's iffy," he said. "It seem innocuous to me, but that's just me."

Flying Dog Brewery started in 1990 and, according to a company statement, "It was a warm summer's night in Woody Creek, Colorado, Flying Dog founder, George Stranahan, and the gonzo duo of Ralph Steadman and Hunter S. Thompson were engaged in a meeting of minds so to speak. Yes, yes, they were getting drunk, the kind of drunk you save for once a year, pink elephant drunk, or if you will, Flying Dog drunk. What happened next was a kind of collective hallucination and the fearless trio conjured up an image of The Road Dog."

Thompson penned the slogan for Road Dog Porter with the words, "Good People Drink Good Beer."

At Friday night's event in Boulder, titled "A Tribute to Gonzo: A Celebration of the life of Hunter S. Thompson," Flying Dog Beer and plenty of Chivas Regal -- Thompson's signature beverage -- were sold at discounts and a Thompson look-a-like contest that awarded free Flying Dog beer to the winner for a year.

A portion of the proceeds benefit the Hunter S. Thompson Foundation, which is dedicated to the pursuit of justice for individuals wrongly prosecuted by the American legal system. Thompson killed himself Feb. 20. He was 67.