Note to New Members ×

Nice dump

RJ-PS

So we've been getting some pretty sweet fresh dumps at the local hill and I decided to take off before light to get first tracks. When I loaded up the boards I was still slightly groggy and even with a Starbucks enema I was half asleep getting my gear on at the car. I ride all day in a state of nirvana and float home on a cloud just scheming on how to take off work to get back up there. When I unload the boards I notice something odd. My 4807 is still in the rack in the garage and I am carrying my wife's board into the garage....but that would mean....no it can't be.....I rode my wife's 168cm 4807 all day and had a blast with it!!!!

I am 200lbs and an idiot. Who woulda guessed the 168 could hold my weight?

My only endo was at the end of the day when I wasn't paying attention, but I really enjoyed it and didn't notice anything but float heaven.

Next I'm going Tanker'in.

Guest Randy S.

Caveat: You were riding on Sierra Cement, not fluffy cold powder.

I'm surprised you even fit in her bindings. You must have small feet.

My kids are up there with my ex right now. I talked with them yesterday. My ex decided she'd take some runs with my son's ski team group. She followed them as far as the top of Palisades at Alpine Meadows before she realized she was getting in over her heard. My son is 10 and my ex is a pretty good skier. I love the fact that his group of 8-11 year-olds pwned my ex.

Heh. While I was typing this he just called me. His team hiked out to Bernie's Bowl today. For me that would be a 1/2 hour of post-holing along a ridge. I love that my kids rock on skis. :p

Originally posted by Randy S.

Heh. While I was typing this he just called me. His team hiked out to Bernie's Bowl today. For me that would be a 1/2 hour of post-holing along a ridge. I love that my kids rock on skis. :p

Randy, it seems that you have a huge quiver. I'm surprised that you don't have a splitboard to go touring around with your skier kids. Or is it that you tried the splitboard and didn't like it?

I've always entertained the idea of getting a splitboard, but they are just too expensive. If it wasn't for EBay, I'd still have a one board quiver.

But the Prior Pow-Stick split board sure looks good.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by gdboytyler

Randy, it seems that you have a huge quiver. I'm surprised that you don't have a splitboard to go touring around with your skier kids. Or is it that you tried the splitboard and didn't like it?

I've always entertained the idea of getting a splitboard, but they are just too expensive. If it wasn't for EBay, I'd still have a one board quiver.

But the Prior Pow-Stick split board sure looks good.

I haven't found one at a reasonable price. My trouble is I'd only use it a few times a year and I haven't been able to justify $600-700 (used) for a splitboard. I have been lusting after the Prior split-tail splitboard. That looks like a sweet powder weapon. There was one on eBay a while back, but it ended up going for more than I wanted to pay.

I've tried other solutions. I have snow shoes, collapsible poles and even approach skis. Snow shoes sink in really deep fluffy stuff, as do approach skis. Plus I'd mostly want to go along ridges. With snow shoes you can't ski down the downslopes of the ridges. With approach skis I always feel like I'm going to fall on my face or my ass. Most of the riding I do is lift serviced. Alpine Meadows has an open boundary policy and lots of skier friends head OB a lot. I'll probably end up with a split eventually. If I ever get my $hit together to go heli-skiing I'd almost certainly break down and buy one.

Hey, and my quiver is tiny compared to some folks here. I have: Donek 210, Coiler 184, Kessler 185, O-Sin 4807 178, Donek FC1 171, and a Volkl RTSL 163. Those are the boards I ride. I don't count an old asym and my kids' boards. Anybody seen Doug Dryer's quiver lately? I get a woody just thinking about it.

Damn Randy, we're on the same wavelength. I've seriously thought about getting the snow shoes and the short approach skis. But I just didn't like the idea of carrying the extra equipment when I'm riding down on my snowboard or carrying the skis/snow shoes up on the chair lift.

Now with your review, I can skip those ideas and bide my time for when I can get the splitboard setup.

I got size 11 dogs, but she has Flow Pro 11s in Large. Normally I ride XL but in these conditions I didn't notice that it took longer to clip the heel up.

aside: If you got her on plates would she still be your ex?

Have you ever thought of splitting a board yourself? I've heard they have kits for it, though I'm not familiar.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by RJ-PS

aside: If you got her on plates would she still be your ex?

Yes. We get along fine now, but she's a cold person.

Have you ever thought of splitting a board yourself? I've heard they have kits for it, though I'm not familiar.

I'd never do it. I'm skeptical that the well built split boards can hold up to my style of riding. Seems to me I'd torque a home made split to death if I tried to ride that.