Note to New Members ×

carving Sugarbush

CarvCanada

Castlerock on a short board. Find John Egan, he's been known to ride a carving set up. There's good carving all over the Bush. Ask ski patrol for the best trail info. FYI, the 2 Mts are now connected by a quad( no more shuttle bus). Go to Gallagher's and Mad Mt Tavern for beers afterward. A trip over to Stowe is worth it too. Have fun!:)

There are not too many of us. In fact I think I've only seen 2 or 3 others in passing over the past 2 years.

I will be there on Saturday, maybe on Sunday, but life's responsibilities could keep me away.

Lately I've been carving/riding a soft set-up there. There is some great carving terrain there but its spread out all over the place and the grooming pattern is different every day. AND there are a lot of great woods in between the groomed. So (at least for me), I like being on more versatile gear (that can still carve).

For just carving your best bet would be Mt Ellen. Two fast lifts that cruise over several sweet groomers. Less people and a cheaper lift ticket.

For woods and more extreme terrain Lincoln peak is your best bet. There are some groomers there but on the weekends they pretty much turn into icy freeways by noon.

My suggestion: carve in the am at mt ellen. hit the woods at lincoln peak in the PM.

Enjoy!

Tom H.

Tomorrow will be my first visit to the Church this season. The woods haven't had enough coverage until just recently.

Over the summer they cleared and cut several wood stashes. Most of them were existing spots that locals knew about and now they are on the map. I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. sure if you are one of the first ones through you will have a sweet run. But for the most part they will become mogul runs in the woods.

Oh well... if the woods get to busy maybe that will leave more space on the groomers for the trenches!

Tom H.

Mt Ellen is great! Nice steeps, perfect (extremely) windpacked snow in the morning, which lasted all day long below around 2000ft vertical (the rest was BLASTED off by sometimes powerful enough wind to blow you up the mountain, is this normal for the Bush?), and the light hits the whole mountain really nicely until around 2:00. I really like it and I'm addicted to the steeps there (usually took Rim Run, bombed through the mid-summit down to Cruiser, then bombed through the 1/3 level flats to crackerjack)

The people were so nice and outgoing there!

Is it usually completely uncrowded? It has a nice layout for traffic regulation, but even at the base there were no lift lines at all all day long. Maybe all the Bauwstinahs :) had their weekend last Presidents day?

beautiful place, I'm addicted

Guest Tom H.

Sounds like you had a great Sugarbush experience.

Mt Ellen is rarely crowded even on busy holidays. Lincoln Peak sometimes builds up lines mid-day at the base.

It is a beautiful place.

And now I even know more! Last Saturday I finally pitched in for the Backcountry Tour of Slidebrook. 2000 plus acres of backcountry fresh! Very accessible from the lifts with an easy shuttle bus back to the resort. I can honestly say, now, that Sugarbush has the best glade skiing/riding in New England.

Tom H.