Note to New Members ×

How do I get rid of ghosting/blurring with DiVx?

mirror70

I can see two different kinds of artifacts in the clip:

1) Interlaced artifacts on sharp edges (i.e. those jagged lines on the rider). The reason for that is that the video camera records interlaced video and you play it back on a progressive display. I would think that there are filters available for video editing software that can eliminate those artifacts...

2) Blurry artifacts in the snow when the camera moves too much. That's a general artifact of video compression - basically your bitrate is too low to compress all the information. So the encoder does a low pass filter on some of the content.

Also part of the compression algorithm is that it tries to predict motion of elements in the video. That way the encoder only needs to encode information on where elements move instead of encoding the whole element again. Again because of limited bandwidth it's possible that the encoder overuses this feature and stuff starts to move that shouldn't move...

Try to encode it at a higher bitrate. If you want/need a lower bitrate you can try to scale the video to a smaller size...

There are several things.

First, your avi file is in fact a QuickTime (.mov) file with an avi extension.

Second, the video is interlaced, which is much harder to compress.

Third, the bitrate is not appropriate to the size of the video. There is a good equation to get it right almost all the time (it is from the Gordian Knot software):

(bitrate*1000/fps)/(width*height) > 0.200 bits/(pixel*frame)

bitrate: bitrate in kb/s at which the video is encoded

fps: frames per second (29.97 for NTSC video, 23.976 for film, 25 for Europe)

width: width of the video in pixels

heigth: heigth of the video in pixels

And finally, make sure you use two-pass encoding.

You could try Gordian Knot, it works quite well for encoding video to DivX. It is a combination of various software put together.