Note to New Members ×

New Carver -- need guidance (Gunstock/King Pine)

Race30

Hey guys/gals.

I'm new to the scene- i'm a washed up ski racer (high school... now 28 y/o) - picked up my first board a couple weeks ago- having never ridden a snowboard before.

it's a 90's "Look" "Over Speed" - no pics of it on the internet because i think it was born before the internet :)

Anyways- i'm looking for someone who frequents either Gunstock or King Pine to give me 4-5 runs worth of advice (I don't want to hijack your whole day/night) on how to take me from my current ability level: crusing adequately well, sliding heel & toe side

-to-

actually carving

A bit of me thinks it's the board setup i've got 

other parts of me thinks it's me

I generally try to get to either of Gunstock or King Pine on friday night.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Thanks,

I was at Gunstock on Sunday but hadn't been there in probably 20 years-it's only an hour away for me. It was a slush fest so hoping we pick up some more snow. I'm not far from you in the nberwick area. If I head to either place, I can drop you a PM. Happy to help where I can. Boots are key #1, then you can worry about board/binding interface. I remember my early days of trying to make Lange's work for carving-eventually didn't buckle them and discovered that I needed something else to make that work.

On 1/22/2017 at 8:26 PM, Race30 said:

Hey guys/gals.

I'm new to the scene- i'm a washed up ski racer (high school... now 28 y/o) - picked up my first board a couple weeks ago- having never ridden a snowboard before.

it's a 90's "Look" "Over Speed" - no pics of it on the internet because i think it was born before the internet :)

Race 30, not rain on your parade, but... That board, does it have inserts, in a square pattern of 40mm x 40mm?? Or, inserts in a 200mm x 50mm diagonal pattern? Or, worse, none at all?! If it's choice "C", PARK THE BOARD ON A WALL! If choice 'B', things are still functional, but limited in where the bindings can be set. If choice 'A', it's more usable/modern/safe.  

I point this out, because in '88-'89, I designed insert kits that a Ski-Shop could install on boards that used Ski-Screw Mounting [something the industry should NEVER have done, Unsafe at any speed!] , so that bindings would actually Stay On the Board {what a concept..}.  Your board was made in that era, and as such, may be not just obsolete, but a risk factor in how the bindings are mounted. Please feel free to PM me here as to what you have underfoot!

BTW, I am often at Bretton Woods, or Waterville Valley, or Cannon on weekends, and as such, am willing to lend some time/advice, perhaps even equipment. 

thanks guys- i've been busy this week

the board has NO inserts at all

I just ordered some TD-3's and will install them on a newer Oxygen board i plan to purchase from another member on here...

For now i plan to run my burton MGX's on the TD3s and try to get a handle on this whole thing

I'm tied up for the next few weekends so i'll try to get in a night ride or two...

Did you see Mc-Skiddin's boards for Sale?  Could be a good choice?  

Now, that Look, it's a museum piece, and as such, is pretty rare. Try not to ride it though, as ski-screws are Designed to break free at the neck under hard stress (like at 400 lbs. pull, vs 1 ton for a 1/4" SS machine screw with 20 tpi threading. So, while the ski-screws can hold, it's always a gamble of just when you'll exceed their limit.

Stay in touch, I'd be glad to help out. I ride all over New England, but am poor, financially. Little hills cost less...