Note to New Members ×

ski patrolers?

Guest Hopscotch

Guest Hopscotch

Currently i'm getting alot of pain from the S&T intructors about running a sled with hard boots. They are all saying it can't be done. Is there any techniques that i should pratice in order to be able to make the short "hop" turns while free running a sled? Right now, that's the only thing holding me back from showing them up.

-thanks

Originally posted by Hopscotch

Currently i'm getting alot of pain from the S&T intructors about running a sled with hard boots. They are all saying it can't be done. Is there any techniques that i should pratice in order to be able to make the short "hop" turns while free running a sled? Right now, that's the only thing holding me back from showing them up.

-thanks

He sounds like a bastard.

You can still do hop turns on your board, just put your weight forward and pop the tail around. I use it in Moguls all the time.

If you are on a slope steep enough to be hop turning, you should be in a sideslip position anyways.

Here in Canada, we have specific guidlines for snowboards, some Zone's even differentiate between hard and soft boots too.

We have only 2 positions in the bars:

Sideslip and Pendulum.

You aren't supposed to straight run your board, but everyone does it, just not on the exam.

At our Apex patrol, we have 3 boarders on Plates and even the Toboggan examiner rides plates. Everyone wants us to pilot the box especially on the steeps and bumps because we clearly have an advantage.

I could try and dig up some of the guidelines on paper if you would like. Come to think of it, the picture on the cover of the handbook has a hardbooter running a tobbogan.

Guest Hopscotch

The snowboard S&T instructor doesnt like the idea of running a sled with a board with a flat back, i'm not sure why. Our S&T only requires us to take a 3000' run down the steepest head wall. They require 3 transitions and 2 traverses. When you reach the flats we unload the sled and free ski it on almost flat snow the rest of the way down and stop within 100' of a guy in the woods that blows his whistle.

Both our patrol directors are on snowboards (they used to ski until injuries happened), but there "only" soft booters, and never tried alpine boarding. Our canidate class this year has 4 snowboarders, 2 tele ski's, and and 6 skiers. the patrol only has soft booters and skiers, up until next year(if i pass my basic test on and alpine board).

I've never tired running a sled down the moguls, i'm not sure on technique. They say it's not required to know since it's only a basic level test and our moguls are accessable from the side.

Any kind of help related to body positioning or pratice techniques will be appreciated.

hopscotch

-snowgod2005@hotmailcom

I too patrol on hard boots. I am actually the head snowboard trainer at our hill and am told I am the next region director. any how you should have no problems running a sled with a flat tail board. I agree with fleeman there is really no reason to be doing hop turns unless you are on steep terrain and you should be sideslipping. is it bieng tought to controll speed. im my regoin we do not teach transitions to the snowboarders there is really no need to do one. the only reason that they teach that to the skiiers is the slid slip is taxing on there muscles and they are unable to traverse backwards. doing a transition on a snowboard is a risky manuver because it requires you to take 1 hand off or the tracers.

as far as the moguls go you should not be required to do that as a basic. as a Senior canidate I did all of my training and testing on my coiler am. when I showed up for the test they were very skeptical if I could navigate the moguls or not. my run was better then the demo the region director did in softies.

any ways the drill goes you are outside of the tracers one had on a tracer and the other on a cross bar you are going down the moguls on your toe side steering your self and the sled in the valleys on the moguls using the chin brake to control speed its a lot like doing a falling leaf thru a mogul field.

if you need any thing elso feel free to e-mail me

best of luck on your test.

Rambo

I am just curious, how does the telemarker do jump turns?

I find I pilot the box with my arms outstretched and knees bent with my body facing downhill.on my heel edge. I usually don't go on toeside unless I spin around to back the toboggan into the accident I have to pressure my back foot a bit more while sidesliping so I dont go in the direction of my bindings. I use the same position while falling leaf too. In the bumps I ride on my heel edge and bend and flex alot. Sideslip, anticipating speeding up or slowing down so you can make it over the humps while trying to keep the tobogan as smooth as you can, just watch the chain that it doesn't grab when you don't want it to.

If you are kinda goofy, tape a peice of cardboard to the back of your board to make it a twin tip.:D Then show them how it is done.

Another thing is to take a tobogan away from the instructors and just practice with it on your own untill it feels right

Guest Hopscotch

tele skiers don't hop turn. they do what the usual skiers do. They have to concentrate on staying back and keeping there heels down.

We are taught to use toe side for a break on the quads during long hauls.

I have never tried it, except once,4 years ago, I started toeside and tried to turn to heel side and my board went into a carve and I bailed. Therefore I never do it. It isnt taught here either, we stop and switch with the drag person if needed. Our tobogans are one man style but our Patrol specifies that when loaded, we need a tail gunner to hang on just in case. Our mountain is pretty rough in some spots so even the best can go down hard.

Guest Hopscotch

our mountain isnt that big, but i like the idea of running it all the way down instead of having to stop because of an annoying burning sensation in the quads.

We only use a tail runner if the person in the horns doesnt have confidence in themself or the people with him don't have confidence in him.

I'm a newbie NSP patroller on Catek Olympics and a Donek Incline. The Incline does it's job, but I purchased it as a 'safe' all-around board. If I ding the Incline fishing wrecks out of rock-fields, then it's only $360 as opposed to a $550 Axis. Maybe next season I might find an all-mountain board. I should talk to my tax accountant.

On hardpack days, I do get around on a Volant SL - the squared-off tail has not been an issue.

Incidentally, the hard boots have an added advantage of being that little bit easier to dig into that glassy-blue 'skier packed powder' you sometimes see early in the morning, and for me the Intec heels are essential.

Incidentally - fleaman, Rambo - do you deduct any of your patrol gear / mileage as NSP / pros?

yes I do deduct my mileage, uniform , dues and medical supplies but you get into a grey are when you talk about boards and stuff like that its best to talk to a account about that stuff.

Stainless how do you like your incline. I just got mine in the mail on thrusday I am teaching a snowboard enhancement seminar tomorrow so I will be waiting till the afternoon to try it out. I am mounting soft bindings on it and have not ridden soft boots in 2 years. this should be fun.

yeah the intec's are great. I have extended teh cable on my rear foot to come out of the top of my pants so I dont have to bend over to pull the cable. soooooooooooooo nice

later

rambo

Rambo - I reckon my Incline is a capable, carveable board - my only beef are the shallower stance angles - harder to rotate on heelsides, so my bum hangs-out over the edge. Although it's a non-issue in the handles. But it's been nimble in the bumps, stable in crud, floatable in pow', and I can ride it fakie too .

Hey - extending that intec-cable is a good idea - if I fed it through my pant-fly, I'd be tugging on that thing all day (for that quick-release!).

I have to get myself onto a snowboard enhancement seminar - and maybe see if I know enough to teach one in a season or two.... How does one go about it?

I am interested in starting as a patroller on hard boots. I live in CT and would be looking for a mtn in CT, MA or VT (in that order). Any words from the wise about how to get started. I haven't any medical experience but am interested in learning about first responder type situations. So there you go.

well I would start by going to your home mountain and taliking to the Patrol director or the head of training and ask for a application. most places have a ski off to acess aplicants skills. once accepted to the program you will be a pre canidate. and will be shown what is involved in bieng a patroller. you will not be able to treat patients or transport them.

at some point you will begin oec Outdoor emergency care. which is very indepth medical training. our training program is 4 months long 2 nights a week. once you have passed your oec pratical exam you are now a canidate and are allowed to treat patients. you will now begin your ski and tobbogan training and will be tought Chair evac and other partoler specific dutys. once you are profficient at ski and tobbogan skills you will be allowed to take your basic ski and toboggan test once this test is passed you are a full basic patroller and are allowed to transport and treat patients. form there you can further your training they offer electives and higher levals of training ie senior and certified.

good luck it is a lot of work but alot of fun at the same time.

some community colleges offer the oec classes.

Rambo

i looked into becoming a partroller a few years ago while i was in university but it seemed like alot of work and I was pretty busy with a job and school, now i have just a job so my interest has rekindled. I will start looking around for some mtns. in CT or MA, the drive to VT would be a little long I think for the kind of commitment this would be. wish me luck.

One of the best things about patroling is going to the mountain by yourself and having 15 or so people to ride with. Also the beer at debrief a the end of the day. It is a big commitment to get the course in, but once it is done, it gets easier every year.

Guest Hopscotch

our full course to get to basic patroler takes around 10 months. It's a minimum of 3hours a week in class, plus what ever study time you need on your own.

In the end it doesnt pay off since most patrolers don't get payed, But it's all about the people you work with.