Note to New Members ×

Steep and icy conditions. Any tips?

jatkinson

One key part of the action on icy/hard snow that I haven't seen discussed much is that of extension/compression. I believe that the second half of the turn I. E. From the fall line down to across the fall line it is important to have enough leg flexion left so as to allow for some "absorption" of the g force thus taking some lateral load off the board and projecting your COM downhill when gravity and centripetal force sum. This should leave you across the fall line, above the board with enough leg flex left for a cross through turn before hitting the new edge progressively while gravity and centripetal force act against each other. Thus the upper half of the turn is where most of the speed control is possible.

Ok I am ready "yoda" Beckmann et al. Shoot me down in flames. Maybe I will learn something!

Nigelc, that was, in a nutshell, exactly what has to be done on hard chalk or ice. There's only so much grip available, so work what you've got.

One of my fave 'lightbulb ideas' {things that once subliminally inserted into a rider's mind, will, one day Click} to play with is to look at the "C" shape of a carved turn, noting just where snow gets displaced from the edge's pressure.

Most riders push the snow down+across the hill. So, try pushing the snow only across the hill.{this is good on chalk and for gates}

Then, aim to push the snow up+across the hill.{this is where you get speed control on icy stuff}

To adjust one's timing enough to do this, Flexion has to remain in play through the whole arc, and you're most compact/flexed just before you end the turn.

This is something I have struggled with. It's tempting to revert to "cross over" turns when in doubt and it doesn't work well except on moderate slopes and good snow. When I watch good riders,even on soft boots there is much "cross under" (or push pull) used allthough it's often mixed in with changing edges off bumps or drops which makes it tricky to observe.

The tricky part for me is to achieve high edge angle while extending through the initial part of the turn. Not easy as I have an association of edge angle with knee bend. I am working on it!