Note to New Members ×

Boot fit question

Corey

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to put as much info in this as I could think of so we didn't have to go back and forth for more tidbits of info.

I'm trying to figure out what my optimum boot size is. I originally measured my foot and came up with about 28.8 cm. I bought some M28 Raichles off eBay, they seem too big when doing the shell test, I can get about 2.5 fingers between my heel and the shell. They feel comfortable with the standard liners, maybe they'll be a bit loose once the liners pack out.

I got some M27 Raichles courtesy of OffpisteHardboots (thanks!), I can just get two fingers between the shell and my heel. It's quite uncomfortable to put my foot in the boot with the standard liner in place, and this liner is very packed out! My toes and forefoot are really squished, it would be painful for more than about ten minutes at a time. I could see bruised toenails from riding in these boots.

First note: There are no alpine shops anywhere around me. I'm in the middle of no where, quite literally. I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The one ski shop I'd trust isn't interested in helping me, and told me that "no one rides hard boots anymore". :rolleyes:

Second note: I have a set of Intuition thermo liners that are patiently awaiting the correct size shell to go into.

-

Do I go with the M28's even though they don't fit perfectly in the shell test? Or will the thermo liners make everything right in the M27's? Would it be normal for someone with a 28.8 cm foot to go to an M27 shell for recreational carving?

Man, I wish there was a boot fitter near me. :( Thanks for any e-advice you can offer!

Guest jeremiah

When you do the shell test, are you sure you're doing it correctly? If your feet are 28.8cm, then getting 3 fingers behind the heel seems pretty hard to do in a 28. Your fingers need to be lined up with the long axis of your boot to do this, not running along the short axis of your heel. If you are doing it correctly, and you can get 3 fingers behind your heel when your toes are just touching the front on the 28, go with the 27.

Jeremiah

Yeah, that's with the fingers directly behind the heel. I can easily fit 2 fingers directly behind the heel in the 28 with plenty of wiggle room. It didn't seem to make sense to me either. Maybe I have really misshapen feet? ;)

Any other comments?

Originally posted by jeremiah

Are the fingers on top of each other or side by side?

\___/ Heel

@ finger #1

@ finger #2

or

\___/

@@

Nice ASCII art! :) My fingers are on top of each other, like the first picture.

Edit: I should add that I'm assuming my toes are pointing up, towards the top of the page.