Note to New Members ×

Mt. High

AcousticBoarder

Conditions were not terrible, especially for so early in the season. Not exactly the "packed powder" they describe on the website, but I wasn't expecting as such. Definitely crusty and hard in the early morning, but as it warmed up it got nicer. Mashed potatoes in the warm sunny spots, but not overly soft. Coverage was actually very good on the open runs, only one brown spot I could easily see that was far off to the edge of the trail.

Got some good turns in on my new-to-me Donek FCII (loving it!) but flew out of a turn to chatter and ankle is hurting a bit now. Nothing a few days of rest wont fix though.

The reservoir at the top looked almost bone dry, they have definitely been blowing snow. Hoping they get a storm soon or conditions won't last long.

• 1 month later...

Conditions today were nice, definitely could tell it was the first time open though, no prior base so the grooming was uneven as the cats sank in the powder in some sections, but definitely full or close to full coverage which was nice, and true "packed powder". Definitely untouched powder in the trees and off trail as today was the first day. Nice in that it wasn't too crowded, at least at east, the line for the shuttle to west was looooong. All in all it was a lot of fun. Wish I was able to head up on Monday but unfortunately I work. Hopefully we will get some more good storms and East will be open for a good amount of time this season! Goldrush is one of my favorite carving runs of all so-cal resorts