Note to New Members ×

Wisconsin carvers?

Rockerbabe88

So the hubs and I just moved to Milwaukee from Denver and I just want to get a feel for the scene out here.

Haven't hit the slopes here yet but we have our slalom boards for the smaller hills.

Granite peak seems like the largest mountain within a couple hours drive but we were going to forgo a season pass anywhere and just sample the hills as it were.

So...rollcall?

From a  riding perspective I'm not sure it was a good move.  Most leave here for Colorado.    Granite is steep up top and flat at the bottom.  It's a bit spendy but do have the faster lifts.  The runs in the midwest are typically narrow.  There used to be a lot of carvers in the Madison are a that would ride Tyrol Basin - a neat little hill and pretty drive to get there.  For night trips in the Milwaukee are Sunburst and Little Switzerland are  (that's it).  Cascade past Madison get's a big IL crowd.  Devils head is kind of cool and a bit off the beaten track like Tyrol Basin.  I prefer the upper peninsula of MI (indianhead, powderhorn have the best snow making) with the runs being more consistent pitch and a bit more enjoyable.  It's about 5 hours so may not be worth the drive for you.  Whitecap is really fun if they get a ton of snow.  Manmade stuff there is really lacking and there is some traversing that can suck.  Mt. Bohemia is supposed to be awesome for the midwest but I've never been.  Steep and lot's of snow, zero-little grooming and yurts (sp?).  If you have any you'd like more details on, I've ridden them all.

You're welcome to join us at Granite.  We are out most weekends.  I haven't sampled much else in my decade in Wisconsin; if I'm going to travel, I head west for the mountains.  Granite Peak has few fans on this forum.  I find it adequate and great fun for my family, will have my wife and daughter on a carve setup this year.   :1luvu:

Please contact me if you plan to travel here and I will do my best to make you welcome!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My gal and I spend all our time inda UP. Indianhead / Blackjack is our pass held resort, there are 3 more & a municipal hill within 30 min, and our best kept OB secret in Mt. Bohemia. Shoot me a pm if you want more details..

Hope to see you there!

Al

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Like 1

Indianhead and Blackjack have decent pitches, BJ more so with some double falls, both take pride in impeccable grooming. Best news is you can buy a house nearby for the cost of a used truck, we bought in Bessemer 3 years ago, tax bill is $436.00, less than a CO lift ticket lol! There are plenty of lodging options. Looking at a 2nd property now, for a VRBO property today, and it just snowed ;)

Edited by Algunderfoot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wonderful!

I'll be making a ski/family trip to Colorado in the coming weeks and then it's all the WI hills possible.  We'll definitely be making trips to Granite Peak and Bohemia (season pass even comes with a season pass to a small CO hill so lucky me!)

I'll be sure to hit everyone up when we know we'll be on mountain.

:)