Note to New Members ×

Alpine dying out, personally?

LeeW

The only thing that has been dampening my stoke for alpine riding has been the dismal nature of the winter snow pack for the last 3 years locally. 

It's hard to get stoked on carving when there's  little or no snow around....

Luckily I am able to get good snow in other parts of the Province, because I travel with my snowboard gear on the road during winter business trips.

Fingers crossed for this season, only I'm not holding my breath- for the first time in 30 years, I haven't purchased an annual pass for the local mountains- just a frequent user card- I can't justify the cost with the lack of snow.

I'm giving serious thought about thinning my quiver to the bare minimum - a powder deck, a splitboard, and all mountain carver, a slalom carver, a GS carver, and a rock board.

Geo

Just find the "right" longer board.   Maybe something titanal, intended for free carving, which will be more forgiving and compliant yet respond really well under an expert rider's feet?   Example- Coiler Monster II 184.   It would be night and day different from your Madd but still very much an alpine board, and yet not at all a race board.   I'm sure someone will be foolish enough to sell one used at some point... not me :D

I'm really happy with my Nirvana 180 and don't feel the need to go any shorter for any conditions I encounter in Western Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not touch my Madd 158 in a very long time. I believe the last time I rode was with a couple of locals via this forum out in keystone back in maybe 2008. Since then (8 years!), I haven't touch it at all. Yes I use my UPZ boots all the time when I go skiing on my Lib Tech NAS skis. 

I wonder what do I need to do to return to my roots? motivation, that's for sure. Unfortunately, landing a job at the big ass city (Denver) isn't ideal for daily riding/skiing. :(

What about you ?

Coming from a long skiing background I'd say.....sometimes a guy just gets bored with what he's always done and wants to try something different. After nearly 30 years on skis I went whole hog into alpine snowboarding for awhile. Then....after awhile....skied again and remembered why it was my first love. Don't feel guilty about not snowboarding....when you ride again those neural pathways will be right where you left them and you'll love it all over again. It's a hell of a great time to live with all of these options, enjoy them :)

-Joe