Note to New Members ×

Where to buy hard boots in the UK?

Mucknbullets

Right, after 3 seasons of using my second hand, don't fit me properly Raichle AF700s I have saved some cash and want to get some new fitted boots. Now I can catch a flight to Germany and go to Blue Tomato but wondered if there was anywhere in the UK that does hard boots? I know a lot of you guys are Stateside but there are a few of us Limeys (and Scots before Kieran shouts at me) kicking around on the forum.

Really need new boots as last three snow holidays have involved my right big toe getting bashed so much the nail then falls off and hasn't healed properly since. Now I could possibly get new liners and get them moulded to my feet (assuming my local ski shop is ok at that) but really fancy some new boots that fit.

Cheers in advance

Ade

Iirc Mondo 28 (well my cheap sofites are 28). As you say hard boots in the UK are like looking for Hen's teeth. Looks like a trip to Germany is on the cards.

(I know how you guys get about your nationality. Spend a lot of time ribbing the boss as he is from Ayr)

going to blue tomato seems extreme. do the shell test on your AFs and if you've just enough room, go with the same size track 700 and a thermo liner.

any competent ski shop should be able to form them for you, or there's alan baxter in stirling who knows a thing or two.

if you dont have stubby saxon feet, try and find some rc10s

I get mine from Europe, fortunately not very often. Well they're not soft boots, after all.

Go to Carving Masters at the start of May and pick some up from Solden, perhaps? The UPZ people are usually there I think. Otherwise various online places sometimes have stock, if you know the right size

I bought some old burton winds from ss20 in Oxford but that was 15yrs back and don't believe they do hard boots anymore. Go to Europe or try a thermo liner if your shells ok for size.

I had the whole black big toe some years back and ended up cutting a corner out of my liner which worked a treat.

Knowing the right size is the issue as not sure how much the liners have crushed in my boots (they are old after all) and, tbh, the Raichles never feel like they have clamped my foot in properly. Now that again could be down to the liner being worn and their not being enough clamp force left. Plus I have saved for quite a while and want some shiny. Slippery slope as then it will be new bindings (got some old Proflex ones on their now) and then a new board (F2 Speedcross is not exactly the latest is it). Best carry on saving then.

The black toe comes from my foot sliding around so much it punches my right big toe into the front of the boot on turns.

• 4 weeks later...

Boot fit is the most critical input to the carving process. Grab your foot beds and go to the best boot fitter available who has a variety of boots to try. You need the optimum fit in the optimum boot, anything else degrades performance. Optimum boot includes: shape, flex, etc. tailored to your carving mode.

If you have access to a convection oven consider heat molding the liners yourself. There are plenty of how to instructions online.

In the UK you'll be lucky to find a boot fitter who's seen a hard snowboard boot.

On the other point, perhaps, although I'm not sure. I've had a range of boots over the years and they've all worked perfectly for me. I think some people have fussy feet, I don't. Hell, I can even use soft boots.

• 1 month later...

You won't find much hard boot stuff here. Better to look to Europe or US (though with currency in favour of Stirling against the Euro more than the USD, I'd go for the former).

Thermoflex liners are they key. They made so much difference to my ride comfort it's not funny. And if you have orthotic foot beds, get them put in at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Why don't you wait, test and buy the boots on site on your next ski trip?

You probably seen my post about the Burton furnace I got that are a bit tight alright - so now im kind of looking around for liners but it looks like im doing a presason trip to Davos - they do free ski pass until 20th of Dec.

So thinking heading in to the local shop rent a Kessler Alpine and maybe by a new pair! - fingers crossed they take a trade in!!

http://ferienshop.davos.ch/en/booking-proposals/lift-pass-for-free-201516/