Note to New Members ×

Newbie question. Carving in IL?

TLN

Hi all.

I'm a newcomer in that section, but I'm moving to US in a couple of weeks. Most likely will stay in IL, unless I got a project from a different state. 

I got some question to locals :)

0. Let me introduce myself first: 25yo, riding from 16yo, alpine setup for 4 years or so. Not racer, but don't mind going gates time to time.

1. First question is: When the season ends? I'm deciding whether should I bring winter outwear with me, or get it shipped later. 

2. Places to ride around Chicago? Willing to go further if it worth it. I'm also interested in freriding or off-piste rides(softboots, yea), but I guess I need to go Colorado for that. Interested in locations, slope lengths, any details. We're riding local mountain: about 1000m run, nice pow around. Not really steep, but riding pow is fun.

3. As someone might know there's weak Rouble in Russia. So you can get stuff for pretty sweet price. I can grab some stuff if you want to. Most likely it will be shipped with my boards later. Not trying to do business from that, just split a shipping quote. 

Vic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I'm a newcomer in that section, but I'm moving to US in a couple of weeks. Most likely will stay in IL, unless I got a project from a different state. 

I got some question to locals :)

0. Let me introduce myself first: 25yo, riding from 16yo, alpine setup for 4 years or so. Not racer, but don't mind going gates time to time.

1. First question is: When the season ends? I'm deciding whether should I bring winter outwear with me, or get it shipped later. 

2. Places to ride around Chicago? Willing to go further if it worth it. I'm also interested in freriding or off-piste rides(softboots, yea), but I guess I need to go Colorado for that. Interested in locations, slope lengths, any details. We're riding local mountain: about 1000m run, nice pow around. Not really steep, but riding pow is fun.

3. As someone might know there's weak Rouble in Russia. So you can get stuff for pretty sweet price. I can grab some stuff if you want to. Most likely it will be shipped with my boards later. Not trying to do business from that, just split a shipping quote. 

Vic

Hi Vic,

Welcome! I will start with - should've found a project somewhere else ;). Seriously. No much carving in IL. 10% more in the surrounding Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan. Probably further North - Minnesotta is better, but the drive from here (Chicago) would make it not worth (better spent that time driving to Colorado).

Local season is likely going to be over very soon.

Otherwise, from closer to Chicago to further away:

- Alpine Valley/Wilmot (WI) - ~1-1.5 hrs drive. Almost man made hills

- Cascade/Devil's Head (WI) - ~3-3.5 hrs drive. Just a bit longer, but more than half of the length is flat.

- Granite Peak (WI) -  ~4.5 hrs drive, a bit longer than above and that's about as far as I personally drive for local trip ;). January - brutally cold, Russia type cold :)

- Boyne (MI) and around resorts - 6-8 hrs drive from Chicago. Never been there though.

If you have any other questions about stuff around, let me know. 

Millen

Well, I'm still not in US and guess the season will be over soon. Won't bring boards with me, but get it shipped to me this fall. 

I'm not really excited about the local slopes. I can ride 198 Undertaker from lifts in Kazakhstan. Anyways, there's a lot of time ahead before next season, may be I'll get a project somewhere in Colorado :) 

I'd post here once I'll be in states. Will be great to catch up with locals this summer.