Note to New Members ×

Question about Catek adjustment screws

skategoat

To guys riding Catek Olympics:

How hard do you crank down the 4 adjustment screws? I noticed that the screws are damaging the base plate - making the indents into bigger indents. I suppose this is because the screws are steel and the plate is aluminum.

I'm wondering if I'm cranking down too hard. The instructions say to turn the screws an equal amount. That's it.

Originally I had trouble with the kingpin lostening after a day of riding, but it's not a problem anymore. I tighten the kingpin and then do teh 4 screws another turn to turn and a half.

As for the grinding, Jeff Caron has said on the old Catek forum that the divots get larger to ensure that the bindings are less likely to rotate or come loose as you ride.

These bindings are amazing though and provide one amazing ride!

Gord

Guest Todd Stewart

the same thing started happening to mine on the weekend, my front foot actually started feeling mushy. I e-mail them and this is the response they gave me

Hi Todd,

This wear is normal. There is no need to change angles. Just tighten the

tilt screws a tad & the bindings will "stiffen" up.

Thanks,

Jeff

CATEK

I am still waiting for my cateks to deliver (UPS says tomorrow). When I was looking at my friend's catek olympics, I noticed the wear you guys are talking about and I asked him about it. He said that the screws initially dig-in on the base plate and you have to tighten it up after a day of riding, but then it stays at that depth and won't go any further,...kindda locks in on the new depth position.

I welcome more comments/ideas on this issue since I ordered 2 pairs myself.

Unfortunately, the screws do end up marking the base plate, "digging in" a bit until the aluminum deforms enough to withstand the force. The older plates were better in this respect, there were no holes in the plates, and you kind of made your own with the set screws. Anyway, with the king pin nice and tight, the four screws should be tightened about one turn past the point where they contact the base plate. And as others said, to check them periodically for the first few days is a good idea, after that they do not need to be rechecked as much. Hope that helps, if there are other questions please feel free to e me directly, I don't want anyone getting loose partway down the hill!

For the first few days you will be riding a fresh disk, bring a 4mm allen wrench with you, and tighten the screws every once and a while. After about 10 days of use, I couldn't tighten mine any more using the large arm of the allen wrench that came with the cateks, and they've settle into that position forever.

You can unscrew the plates and put them back on in the same divots and they will still settle exactly as before, the aluminum divot hole is deep and hardened after usage.