Note to New Members ×

172 Oxygen Proton GS

teach

I have three of these to sell. They're damp boards with a big scr (13 or 14 meters) and good ice grip. They excel in firm to super-firm, but start to get fussy with bumpy softer stuff (at least for me). Nice low-profile nose, 19 cm waist.

EDIT: Only the red/black/grey one left, others sold.

1. Excellent condition, green, metal. This was my go-to board last season. I just realized I missed half of that season due to getting hit by a clueless boarder, so this has gotten less use than I'd have estimated. $120 plus shipping. SOLD

2. Newer model, can't tell if it has any metal in the layup as there's no tail cutout. I have not ridden this. I bought it two seasons ago here, almost unused. I may take some runs on it next week to be able to give an idea of the ride. Seems to be the same specs as the older 172s. $150 plus shipping. SOLD

3. An older one, metal, edges are maybe at 50 - 60% -- lots of life left, but definitely thinner than new. This has a few inserts that appear to be bulging a little. I posted here asking about this; there are close-up photos in that thread. I used this heavily until the beginning of last season when I noticed the inserts, and replaced it with the green one. $50 plus shipping? Affected inserts are the ones in the middle (5 x 2 pattern) so to be safe you'd want to use the inserts placing you in the center of the insert pack, which I think is around a 19.5" stance (will measure). AVAILABLE

Photos (#1 and #3 and a 167 Factory Prime I forgot to include. Will include in a separate post with a few others):post-2504-0-03651400-1423338438_thumb.jppost-2504-0-89933500-1423338461_thumb.jp

The bases of #1 and #2 are waxed but not scraped. #3 has some fairly superficial rock scrapes you can see. They're not deep.

Edited by teach

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a bump. The "reference stance" on the older (red/black/grey) one is 19" and those inserts are unmolested. Most bindings will let you go between 18" - 20" with these inserts. Cateks will increase this range,  by flipping the mounting disk. So a wide range of typical stances are doable without using sketchy inserts. All for the price of a few Dakine Spike stomp pads (you get one free, no charge for installation and testing!).

I don't mind keeping one of these, but I don't need three. With the stance I'm using (as wide as I can get on these, 22.5 - 23.5" on boards that allow) they are too twisty. Even my 178 Proton, which seemed like a steel I-beam at a 20" stance (no twisting possible), is a little lacking in torsional stiffness at 22". Pretty amazing what changes when you change stance. I was expecting an increase in stiffness (longitudinally), and maybe that's there, but the noteworthy thing for me is the decrease in torsional stiffness. I seem to have a tendency to twist the board (still working on setup) and I prefer the board to refuse.

Just signed up to forums. 1st season Carving. Got the bug. Just road on a borrowed proton 164 (metal), really liked the feel of it. I would like to get the green 172  proton from you, since it is metal. I hate to say, but probably interested in the newer proton also, just so I can compare the rides. Any price break if i take both. 

I was just going to ride the new one yesterday but ended the day early due to weather forecasts.

I sent you a PM, how about $270 shipped for both?

The green one is just the ticket for St Patrick's Day! Let me know if you want any additional photos.